LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.13 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 13 22:51:45 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 13 November 2005 * Volume 02

From: Isaac M. Davis <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.12 (05) [E]

Annette Giesbrecht wrote:

> Actually we aren't African in origin.    If we were African, all our skin
> color would be dark, not varied from white to black.  Originally we all
> came
> from Adam and Eve, and after all the wicked people were drowned, we all
> descended from Noah, and were scattered all over the world from  the Tower
> of Babel which was located somewhere in Mesopatamia.   When people
> scattered
> from the Tower of Babel, it's only natural that there were pockets
> intended
> to go to Asia, that wound up in Northern Europe, and consequently those
> who
> would have gone to Europe, traveling to the Far East.   That might account
> for isolated language varieties.

...Well, anything's possible, right? Perhaps those intended to become Saami
were chosen by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Touched by His Noodly Tendril,
as it were.

Regards,

Isaac M. Davis

--

Westron wynd, when wilt thou blow
The smalle rain down can rain

----------

> Actually we aren't African in origin.    If we were African, all our skin
> color would be dark, not varied from white to black.  Originally we all
came
> from Adam and Eve, and after all the wicked people were drowned, we all
> descended from Noah, and were scattered all over the world from  the Tower
> of Babel which was located somewhere in Mesopatamia.   When people
scattered
> from the Tower of Babel, it's only natural that there were pockets
intended
> to go to Asia, that wound up in Northern Europe, and consequently those
who
> would have gone to Europe, traveling to the Far East.   That might account
> for isolated language varieties.

Isn't it dangerous to use religious books, of whatever religion, to explain
scientific facts?
I guess religious books were not intented to become manuals of natural
history.

Further, nothing against "intelligent design", but I guess the defenders of
that approach do not use it to explain language variety, or do they?

Regards,
Roger