LL-L "Media" 2005.11.13 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 14 00:05:02 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 13 November 2005 * Volume 05

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Media" [LS/E]

Moin Leeglanders,

Eerst op plat, dan op Engels...

Op RTV Oost, 'nen regionalen TV-zender in Aoveryssel, löp sinds 'n
tydjen (oh look, a diminutive...) 'nen soap, "Van Jonge Leu en Oale
Groond". Nu sölst seggen, en wat dan, 'nen soap, der bint der so
völle... Mear dit is nich so mear 'nen soap, dit is 'nen regionalen
soap, der wordt vuyr 'n heel groot deyl Tweants köjert (snakt). Den soap
is bedach duyr Johan Nijenhuis (regisseur) en Herman Finkers
(professionelen grappenmaker in 't Hollands en in 't Tweants). Finkers
hev vuyr dissen soap 'nen soort kuenstmaotig Algemeyn Tweants bedach. Et
duet wal 'n luek vremd an, mear daet went best rap. Den eersten
utsending hev 300.000 kykers trökken, daet is son betten 40% van alle
Aoverysselers, 'n record vuyr RTV Oost. Ik het my vanaobend vuyr 't
eerst 'nen ofleavering ankekken, ut nyskyrigheid, kyken of daet met de
spraoke nog wat was, of at sey daet gans verknooit hadden. Op de spraoke
he'k nich völle an te maorken, daet hev den Finkers best knap daon, muet
ik seggen. Wat ik wal minder vinde, is daet et (deyls) uem buren en 'ne
burderye dreeit. Daet sol toch nich nöydig muetten weasen. So krig man
allenig mear et idee daet Tuekkers allemaol buren bint. Mear wyter is et
wal wat. Al holde ik nich van soaps, ik kyke volgende wekke wal wyr, et
is tenminste wyr 's wat anders as Hollandse programma's.

A'j 't ok maol seyn wilt, of 's (Kuenst-)Tweants höyren wilt, gaot dan
naor http://www.rtvoost.nl, klikt in 't linker ryjke op "Uitzending
gemist?" (Wuruemme nich in et Tweants, vraog ik my so of...), dan in 't
midden op "TV-archief" en dan in de utklaplyste op "Van Jonge Leu...".
Dan kö'j bladeren op daotuem (gaddamme, wat 'ne skryvwyze...), vanof 2
oktober (elken söndag).

***

RTV Oost, a regional TV station in Overijssel, a Dutch province, is
running a soap since last month named "Van Jonge Leu en Oale Groond" (Of
Young People and Old Land). Of course you'll say "so what, a soap, there
are hundreds of 'em". But this is not just a soap. This is a regional
soap, the Lowlands Saxon dialect of Twente is used for most part of the
dialogue (with bits in Dutch). The soap is created by Johan Nijenhuis
(director) and Herman Finkers (comedian doing shows in both Dutch and
Twente Lowlands Saxon dialect). Finkers has coined some sort of
artificial Common Twente Lowlands Saxon for this show. It sounds a
little alien (still authentic), but I got used to it pretty quickly.
300,000 people watched the first episode, which is about 40% of the
Overijssel population, a record for RTV Oost. Tonight I watched it for
the first time, cause I was curious, wanted to see what they did to the
language, whether they screwed it up or not. I really can't comment
badly on the language, Finkers dit a pretty good job, I have to say.
What I didn't like, is that it's (partly) about farmers and a farm. That
shouldn't be necessary. This way the idea that people from Twente are
farmers (and backward by stereotyping) will only get a stronger
foothold. But even though I don't like to watch soaps, I think I'll
watch it again next week. At least it's a welcome change from all the
Dutch shows.

If you want to watch it too, or hear (coined) Twente Lowlands Saxon, go
to http://www.rtvoost.nl, click on "Uitzending gemist?" (why not in the
Twente dialect I wonder...) on the left, then on "TV-archief", and then
select "Van Jonge Leu..." in the drop-down list. Then you can browse by
date, starting from 2 October (the show's aired every Sunday).

good gaon,
Henry