LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.18 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 18 16:08:14 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

18 November 2005 * Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.17 (07) [E]

From: Brooks, Mark
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.11.17 (06) [E]

Re: Indo-European et al.

I think I remember from my days in college (early '80s) that some of the old
reference books used "Indo-Aryan" instead of Indo-European or Indo-Germanic.
Am I remembering that correctly? If I am, what exactly! would that have
meant?

Mark Brooks

----------

From: R. F. Hahn
Subject: Grammar

Hi, Mark!

Aren't those specifically the Indo-European languages of and from* the South
Asian subcontinent, the languages that the Aryans imported to the previously
largely Munda- and Dravidian-speaking area? At least that's how I use this
name.

(* This includes the Romany group whose ancestors later migrated to Europe,
Africa and beyond. It also includes the Iranic varieties of the Middle East
and Central Asia, including China, and Russia.)

I think Indo-Iranian is now preferred fro this subgroup, because of what
Adolf and the lads did for the word "Aryan".

Paul