LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.11.18 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 18 16:49:48 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

18 November 2005 * Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Anniversary

Folks,

If you haven't done so in a while, I suggest it's time again to pay a visit
to our anniversary site (http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/). There are
quite a few new presentations.

One of them is actually Lowlandic ;-): the dialect of Basingstoke in
Northern Hampshire, England. It was kindly provided by our Gary with the
help of a friend.  It comes with a sound file.

Besides that, there are -- largely thanks to the doings of Mike the Primary
Procurer -- new translations into Esperanto, Maltese, Turkish, Crimean
Tatar, Northern Sámi, Irish, Manx and Mohawk (some with sound files).  The
"What's New?" page
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=new) keeps you
informed about the developments.  Those of you interested in this project
might like to check this page regularly.

Also new is an alphabetical index of all featured language varieties
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=a-z).  I posted it
late last night, and already the statisics utility shows that this index is
very popular.

In fact, this presentation seems to be increasingly popular, going by the
"hits" it gets and by other folks' and organizations' pages that list to it.
As I have already mentioned in an earlier posting, a pattern seems to be
emerging whereby people search for websites that deal with "their" languages
(which may or may not be Lowlandic) and then stay at our site, look around
(some people for hours) and "discover" what we offer in terms of focus
varieties.  Furthermore, pages with sound files seem to be particularly
popular.  "OK. I now know what it looks like. But what does it *sound*
like?" is probably what goes on in people's heads.  So our Gary sure had a
brilliant idea when he first suggested the format of this project.

Going by statistical detail, by communication and by websites that link to
our anniversary site, it looks as though people at schools all over the
world make up a good part of our audience.  This is something to bear in
mind if you are trying to decide whether or not to do your part to help this
project along farther -- and we hope you do.

So, thanks for all the help provided and to be provided!