LL-L "Phonology" 2005.11.23 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 23 22:18:53 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 23 November 2005 * Volume 05

From: "Ingmar Roerdinkholder" <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.19 (01) [E/Papiamentu]

To come back again to the subject Papiamento and its tonal feature,
I'll give you an example:

There are two words "karga", both with stress at the first syllable (kar-).
But "karga" low tone-high tone means "to carry" and "karga" high tone-low
tone means "load" (noun).

Same with "uña", with stress at the first syllable in both cases,
when the "u-" has low tone, it means "nail", but when "u-" has high pitch,
is means something else.
And "berde" means green or true, depending on the tone.
Sorry, I don't recall everything exactly, it's quite long ago... I must
have a Papi-dictionary somewhere in a dusty box at the attick, but where.

One more important thing: in (y)our Wren translation you use the adverbial
suffix "-mente" quite a lot. Isn't -mente Spanish?
Shouldn't that be "-mentu", as in the language name?

Or "-mento" for the Aruba variety, which has final -o usually - like in
Spanish- where Kòrsou/Boneiru have -u - as Portuguese.
Did you know that most Arubianos are not "black" as the Curaçolenõs,
but
look more like typical Latin-Americans, i.e. a mixture of Europeans,
Indians (Natives) and Africans? E.g. my ex-girlfriend had the skin colour
of a general Spaniard, big green-grey eyes and straight, pitch-black hair.
Her mother had blue eyes and dark brown, waved hair. An Aruban friend of
mine had reddish dark brown curly hair, dark brown eyes but a pale skin,
and a very broad nose. The Arubans themselves like to think that they are
mainly of Indian (Arowak and/or Carib) descendance with some Spanish and
Dutch blood. How that all may be, in European (Dutch) eyes it's all quite
striking, because we use to think that all inhabitants of the Dutch
Antilles are "negroes".

One other thing about tones and accents I've been wondering about for
many years already, but never heard or read something or someone about:
in French, the last syllable of a word bears stress, as a rule.
But in modern spoken French, there seems to be a tendency to withdraw the
stress to the first syllable. A tendency, I said, this doesn't mean that
the first syllable actually gets the stress now, and the result sounds, in
my ears, as if the first syllable in French gets a higher tone than the
last, stressed one.
Does this sound familiar to someone, does anyone recognize and / or
understand what I mean?
I always found this fascinating, but my French teachers didn't see what I
was talking about...

Ingmar

Reinchi a skirbi: