LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.23 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 23 22:15:32 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 23 November 2005 * Volume 04

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.22 (02) [E]

Paul Finlow-Bates wrote:
  "I actually wasn't aware of that, probably because the only Aboriginal
people I
had any contact with were east coast urban dwellers, few if any of whom speak
anything
other than English. I assume your studies apply Outback?"

  Yes. Considering only around 20 per cent of Aboriginal people actually
speak any
sort of Aboriginal language or creole, it does only apply to the Outback.
The more
remote you go, particularly in northwards, the more likely you are to find
speakers of Aboriginal languages, and multi-lingual ones at that.

  Heather wrote:
  "I think any kind of reasoning such as you give smacks of anti-colonialist
rhetoric - after the fact."

  Not particularly. It is an undeniable fact of history that colonial
officials in
Australia viewed Aborigines as less than human, and spoke to them
accordingly.
Therefore your reasoning smackes of an apologia for colonial times and an
elision
of basic facts about those days.

  Go raibh maith agaibh,

  Críostóir.