LL-L "Language use" 2005.11.23 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 23 21:26:16 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 23 November 2005 * Volume 03

From: "Obiter Dictum" <obiterdictum at mail.ru>
Subject: LL-L "Languageuse" 2005.11.21 (06) [E]

> I can relate to "code cum persona" switching.  It's kind of neat to have
> multiple personae, isn't it (as opposed to multiple personalities)?

Speaking of multiple personae and multiple/split personality:))
Mark's story about him answering Spanish-speaking calls with
the Spanish translation of his name reminds me of the time when
I practiced law in Kazakhstan, ex-USSR, which has large Ukrainian
and Korean communities. I answered Russian-speaking calls in Russian
and called myself Ли Владислав Витальевич (Vladislav
Vitalievich
Lee, "Vitalievich" being my assumed, as required by then Soviet law,
patronymic, the father's first name). Whenever a Korean-accented
voice called in Russian or Kazakh, I'd simply say in Korean, 리 (Rhee).
Answering a Ukrainian accent, I'd speak Ukrainian and call myself
"Уладислау Слива," "Sliva" meaning "plum(-tree)." To the
Russian ear,
the surname sounds terrifically hilarious, for no obvious reason.
There are hundreds of odd Ukrainian surnames, such as Катигроб
(Katigrob, "Roll-the-Coffin") Непейвода
(Nepeyvoda,"Don't-Drink-Water").
After all, they say, "There is no such word in Ukrainian that cannot
be a surname.":)
As for Korean... OK, the pride Koreans take in their family heritage
is so intense that they would swear on, more than anything else, their
surnames, saying, "If I am lying, I would change my last name."
As a practicing lawyer, I do lie, and I do change my surname from
time to time. That wins me clients. Think of an appropriate
lawyer joke :).

Vriendelike Groete-
Vlad