LL-L "Language use" 2005.11.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 23 17:37:37 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 23 November 2005 * Volume 02

From: "Rikus Kiers" <kiersbv at tiscali.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.11.21 (06) [E]

Hi everyone,
Mark wrote: So, the name indicates some sort of expectation about what
language you speak.

There is even more. It reminds me of a visit I made to Drenthe to a village
called Aalden. My parents used to live there when I was a teenager/twin. I
live now in the neighborhood of The Hague. I was in a shop and recognised
the woman who was serving, as one of the girls I met frequently 40 years
ago. I spoke to her in Drents. she answered in Dutch. I talked Drents again.
She continued in Dutch. This was repeated 4 to 5 times. Then I asked don't
you speak any Drents anymore. I speak Drents to you and you answer in Dutch.
She said :did you? In Drents this time. She said: you do not look very
Drents. It must have been my clothes or possibly my haircut. My conclusion
is that the eye is quicker in imaging than the ear is. Maybe a role plays
the nowadays indoctrination that for touristbusiness sake as a servant in a
Drents shop, in a Drents Village you should only speak Dutch. It might go
that far that the servant does not even hear Drents anymore, but decodes it
immediately.

Groet aan een ieder,

Rikus Kiers

----------

From: "Henry Pijffers" <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L Language Use [E]

Moin Leeglanders,

Below is a link to an article (in Dutch) in the Nederlands Dagblad,
about language use (they call it dialects, whatever) in the Netherlands.
It turns out that a lot more people still use something else besides
Dutch than has been assumed so far. For example, two thirds of the
population in Saxon speaking areas can actually speak and read Saxon.

http://www.nd.nl/newsite/artikel.asp?id=72983

good gaon,
Henry