LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.24 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 24 21:12:48 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 23 November 2005 * Volume 01

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Languagevarieties" 2005.11.23 (04) [E]

I wrote:
  "Considering only around 20 per cent of Aboriginal people actually speak
any sort
of Aboriginal language or creole, it does only apply to the Outback. The more
remote you go, particularly in northwards, the more likely you are to find
speakers of Aboriginal languages, and multi-lingual ones at that."

  This is an over-simplification. There are speakers of Aboriginal
languages in
urban centres, but the languages are strongest in Outback areas and in no
capital
city (i.e., Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin,
Canberra) is
there even a ward in which Aboriginal languages are in the majority.
Speakers of
Aboriginal languages are, however, well represented in Outback towns,
particularly
Alice Springs.

  Maps of the numbers and proportions of Aboriginal language speakers by
indigenous
locations according to the 1996 Australian census can be found at
http://www.deh.gov.au/soe/techpapers/languages/indicator1g.html#map5

  Go raibh maith agat,

  Críostóir.