LL-L "Phonology" 2005.11.24 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 24 21:39:03 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 24 November 2005 * Volume 02

From: "Ingmar Roerdinkholder" <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.11.23 (05) [E]

I typed <uña>  with N tilde, and <Kòrsou>, with O accent grave, but
now  I
see all kind of strange signs appear at the screen...
So: uña = unya

>From: "Ingmar Roerdinkholder" <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
>Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.19 (01) [E/Papiamentu]
>
>To come back again to the subject Papiamento and its tonal feature,
>I'll give you an example:
>
>There are two words "karga", both with stress at the first syllable (kar-
).
>But "karga" low tone-high tone means "to carry" and "karga" high tone-low
>tone means "load" (noun).
>
>Same with "uña", with stress at the first syllable in both cases,
>when the "u-" has low tone, it means "nail", but when "u-" has high pitch,
>is means something else.
>And "berde" means green or true, depending on the tone.
>Sorry, I don't recall everything exactly, it's quite long ago... I must
>have a Papi-dictionary somewhere in a dusty box at the attick, but where.
>
>One more important thing: in (y)our Wren translation you use the adverbial
>suffix "-mente" quite a lot. Isn't -mente Spanish?
>Shouldn't that be "-mentu", as in the language name?
>
>Or "-mento" for the Aruba variety, which has final -o usually - like in
>Spanish- where Kòrsou/Boneiru have -u - as Portuguese.
>Did you know that most Arubianos are not "black" as the
Curaçolenõs,

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hi, Ingmar!

Sorry.  I've tried all available encoding modes, and not a single one
brings up the symbols you chose ...  I don't know why that is.