LL-L "Language learning" 2005.11.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 25 21:11:44 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 25 November 2005 * Volume 03

From: "jonny" <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language use"

Dear Heather and Jacqueline,

both of you I remember having mentioned to be teachers of languages.

My youngest son (11) just is starting his college times, and languages are
NOT his greatest gifts- though he's well able to talk lots of nonsense in
well-chosen words. In German we have a proverb for this phenomene: 'Der
Apfel fällt nicht weit vom Stamm', just translated 'The apple doesn't fall
far away from the tree'. My son, eh ;-)!

My question: why don't they learn (in English, at the moment) phonetic
spelling and writing, as we did in our times some fourty years ago? Is it
any new paedagogical principle, perhaps of the kind 'learning by
doing/hearing'? Is it only used over here, or do you in UK or US follow the
same routes?

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm