LL-L "Language learning" 2005.11.29 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 30 06:21:59 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 29 November 2005 * Volume 01

From:  "Ben J. Bloomgren" <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject:  LL-L "Language learning" 2005.11.28 (06) [E]

Oh Críostóir!

It was only a matter of time before teenagers started answering their
exams in
txtspk, and as far as I'm concerned most teenagers clearly think that "u"
and "r"
are actual standard forms for "you" and "are" and that "ur" is pronounced
[jor]not [ur].

  Perhaps we're all just old and out of touch?

I just turned twenty-four on 20 November, and I believe what you say with
all my heart. When I send text messages, I end up hearing the angry beeps of
the phone because I take too much space. Heaven forbid that I actually use
the punctuation marks added on the 1, star and 0 keys! I'm also a "true
blue", "red-blooded American." I quote it not out of shame but out of the
fact that others may not know what it means.
Ben