LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.02 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 3 03:17:41 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.OCT.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.02 (04) [E/German]

> From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.01 (03) [A/D/E]
>
> Hi, Heather and Ron,
>
> Ron wrote:
>
>> In Low Saxon it does have a different, albeit related meaning from the
>> English one.  It is used as a noun: _Black_ (<blak>) [blak] 'ink'.
>
> It is still used here, but I always presumed it to be a loan from
> English.
> Because- still today (black) ink glasses are marked with 'Schwarz/Black',
> and pupils could have picked up this word and made it to become the
> common
> expression?
>
> But we have another word close to 'black' and its possible derivation:
> LS(?): 'blaken/bloken' (DUDEN denotes it to be from Northern German
> origin),
> G: 'schwelen, rußen', E: 'to smoulder, to smoke'.
>
> BTW: isn't it interesting, that there is another word sounding very
> similar
> just in the opposite meaning? LS: 'bleeken', G: 'bleichen', E: 'to
> bleach',
> as G: '_er_bleichen' in a transcendent meaning 'to become pale'.
> And this on the other hand reminds me somehow of E: 'bleak' in the
> special
> meaning of G: '(trostlos, trübe,) düster'.
>
> Greutens/Regards
>
> Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm
>
> ----------
>
> From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Language use"
>
> Liebe Lowländer,
> (English summary below)
>
> ein vermutlich hochdeutsches Wort erregt zur Zeit mein Interesse (daher
> wähle ich auch diese Sprache)- vielleicht finden wir jedoch auch hier
> (prae-)germanische Wurzeln ;-).
>
> _kirre_: laut DUDEN  (ugs. für zutraulich, zahm; nervös, unsicher);
> 'jmdn.
> kirre machen'
> Offenbar scheidet sich hier gerade im Moment der deutsche Sprachgebrauch:
> ich selbst kenne dieses Wort aus der Jägersprache nur als 'ankirren' =
> 'anfüttern, anlocken von Wild', was ja wohl auch der ursprünglichen
> Bedeutung (gem. Herkunfts-DUDEN) ostmitteld. _kirre_ enstpr. mhd.
> _kürre_ ,
> mnd. _quer[r]e_, got. _quaìrrus_, aisl. _kvirr_  in der Bedeutung von
> 'sanftmütig, ruhig, still, freundlich' nahe kommt.
> Heute wird es jedoch zunehmend in der Formulierung (s.o.) _kirre machen_
> ='nervös, unsicher machen' benutzt- es wird also geradezu ins Gegenteil
> verkehrt.
> Ich halte es in dieser Bedeutung schlichtweg für falsch- nur: der
> allgemeine
> Sprachgebrauch, wie sinnverkehrend auch immer, ist vermutlich das
> stärkere
> Argument als die etymologische Schlüssigkeit?!
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüße
>
> Jonny
>
> ***
> (English summary)
>
> Dear Lowlanders,

> [...]

Ron and all

see
http://www.etymonline.com/

David Barrow

black
    O.E. blæc "black," from P.Gmc. *blak- (cf. O.N. blakkr "dark," Du.
blaken "to burn"), from PIE *bhleg- "burn, gleam" (cf. Gk. phlegein "to
burn, scorch," L. flagrare "to blaze, glow, burn"). Same root produced
O.E. blac "white, bright" (see bleach), the common notion being "lack of
hue." The main O.E. word for "black" was sweart. "In ME. it is often
doubtful whether blac, blak, blake, means 'black, dark,' or 'pale,
colourless, wan, livid.' "

bleach
    O.E. blæcan, from P.Gmc. *blaikos "white," from PIE *bhleg- "to
gleam," root of blanche, blank, bleak and probably black. The connection
seems to be "burning, blazing, shining, whiteness." That the same root
yielded words for "black" and "white" is probably because both are
colorless, and perhaps because both are associated with burning.

bleak
    c.1300, from O.N. bleikr "pale" (see bleach). Sense of "cheerless"
is c.1719 figurative extension. The same Gmc. root produced the O.E.
blac "pale," but this died out, probably from confusion with blæc
"black;" but bleikr persisted, with a sense of "bare" as well as "pale."