LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.10.02 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 3 05:35:26 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.OCT.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L Language varieties

Hi Ron and Luc and everyone else

I think (regarding migrations of Indo-European tribes
across Europe) that when the earliest 'Germanic'
tribes were underway, they were probably still very
much Indo-European and they only started changing to
become 'Germanic' ie. their own branch of IE long
after they had settled in the area. So people that
were 'left behind' developed into Celts or Slavs or
whoever else happened to be in the way. To talk of
them being a mixture of Celtic and Germanic etc. (in
prehistory anyway) is thus not really applicable as
they were all just Indo-Europeans.

The spread of the Indo-Europeans might very well have
been a spread of the language as opposed to the spread
of the people, so it might have been that the
'Germanic' tribes were always there, but they adopted
the IE language of a (culturally superior) minority
and made it their own, with their own particular
accent, which eventually developed into the various
Germanic dialects and languages.

I'm not a historian so I don't know for sure (not that
historians would either)...

Gary

http://hometown.aol.com/taylor16471/myhomepage/index.html

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Thanks, Gary.

I see it pretty much the way you do, but that didn't exactly come across
now, did it?  That's due to poor phrasing and terminology.

Yes, I assume that there were people already (going back a long time) and
that they merged with immigrating Indo-Europeans whose language varieties
prevailed, developing on native substrates, thus increasing Indo-European
language diversity even more.

I assume that there was not a single, homogenous Indo-European language by
the time of migration into Northern Europe, namely that migration was slow
and tribal diversity had already led to linguistic diversity, in part by way
of absorbing linguistic influences (including substrates) along the way.

Take in much, much later times the migration of the Roma (_Rroma_,
"Gypsies") from Northwestern India to Northwestern Europe.  It is estimated
to have begun in the 12th century C.E., and it went on well into the 15th
century.  (I believe the earliest recorded presence in the northwest was in
Hildesheim, Northern Germany.)

The Indo-Europeans may have had horses, but I doubt everyone rode on
horseback.  Migrating must have been something like "we" observed among
indigenous Native Americans after they adopted the horse.  Some rode and
some walked.  Traveling those distances must have taken a long, long time,
interrupted by countless settlements (perhaps for generations) and rounds of
absorption along the way.  Though the Roma's language varieties are still
basically Indo-Aryan, they appear to be a far cry from what they were back
in India, having absorbed all sorts of influences along the way.  This is
what I imagine to have happened much, much earlier in Indo-European
migration.  When I said, "Germanic settlements" on the way north I actually
meant a particular Indo-European-speaking branch, some of the ancestors
whose language varieties came to be adopted and later developed into
"Germanic," assumedly on indigenous substrates.

So, yes, those of us who are Northwest Europeans are no doubt descendants of
people who had been there already (whose ancient stone monuments we can
still see) with admixtures of immigrating Indo-European speakers (who may
have made up only a small percentage for all we know, if they were powerful
enough to make the "natives" adopt their language).

Although we'll probably never now what sort of languages those natives
spoke, it is kind of fascinating to "fantasize" about it (going along with
our Luc's sentiment there).  Theoretically, though, there could be a way of
reconstructing special "native" features by comparing all the most ancient
known Northern European languages with each other and "shaving off" the
common parts of their Indo-European crust.  Branch-specific features
(Germanic, Celtic, Romance, Slavonic, Baltic, Grecian) might offer some
clues as to linguistic features of pre-Indo-European times.

And then there is the phenomenon of language isolates, assumedly orphans of
extinct language groups.  In Europe the only surviving one is Basque, and a
now extinct one of which texts are extant is Etruscan.  Basque influences,
especially phonological influences, on Northern Spain's Romance language
varieties have been accepted to be evident.  Clearly, Etruscans, generally
considered speaking an isolate rumored to have arrived from Anatolia,
eventually came to adopt Latin, but their language also influenced Latin,
not only varieties of Tuscany (Etruria) and the Po region, but also of Latin
as a whole, apparently also of Greek (then used in Southern Italy), if not
also indirectly other languages, such as Celtic ones (Gaulish having been
used not far north of there).  Take Etruscan words like these: _alumnathe_
sacred society (L alumnus), _abcar_ abacus, _athre_ building (L atrium?),
_cape_ container (L capio?), _cela_ room (L cella), _clan_ son (Celt
clánn?), _cletram_ basin, basket (Umbrian kletra), _creice_ Greek (L
Graecus), _cupe_ cup, _favi_ grave, vault, temple (L favissa?), _herma_
statue (L Greek Έρμης Hermēs?), _ister_ actor (L histrio?), _lauchum_ king,
prince (L lucumō), _leu-_ lion (L leo), _man(i)_ 'the dead (L Manes), _math_
honeyed wine (Ger *met?), _mi_ I, me, _nef(t)š_ ~ _nefiš_ grandson, nephew
(L nepos), _neri_ water (Gk νερό neró), _pachathur_ maenad, Bacchante,
_put(h)-_ cup, vase, well (L puteus, puteal), _cutun_ ~ _cutum_ vase (Gk
κόθων kóthon), _ratum_ according to law (L rite), _sac-_ perform a sacred
act (L sacrus?), _suplu_ flautist (L subulo), _tut(h)i_ community, nation (L
totus? Umbrian tota? Ger thiud?), _thina_ vase, jar (L tina, Gk δίνως
dīnos), _ulpaia_ jug (Gk ολπή olpē), _vinum_ wine (L vīnum). Note also
suffixes like _-um_ and _-r_ found also in Latin.