LL-L "History" 2005.10.06 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 6 22:56:34 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

06 October 2005 * Volume 07

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.10.06 (03) [E]

Dear Heather:

Subject: LL-L "History"

>>A whole tribe again.
>
> But wasn't that the pattern?
>
> When a group grew too big/overcrowded for its area, it selected a complete
> "unit" to emigrate to pastures new. Every trade had to have one or more
> representatives - every skills ditto - men and women. Once the people had
> been chosen, they were equipped with every tool and resource needed and
> then set off.

Spot on! & the last time this was done (to my memory) was our Great Trek.
Every trekgroep went out of its way to recruit all the crafts deemed
necessary in the Interior, not merely farmers, wainwrights & wheelwrights,
but also millwrights, builders, well-diggers, blacksmiths, smelters &
casters, gunsmiths & gunpowder makers &c. Teachers were eagerly courted, &
ministers of the Church too, but this last 'calling' alone was not called to
the Trek. Never mind, they found the Reverend Lindley, an American minister,
waiting for them when they got there.

Less - dedicated - treks were rare, to my reading, & a matter of record, &
morbid interest by their neighbours. Consider the Children's Crusade, for
example.

Yrs,
Mark

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>

Heather,

So it wasn't necessarily the whole tribe but just a sort of little clone - a
mini bit of the tribe that would be able to function properly wherever it
landed.

Would that be a clan, or would that be an improper use of the term?
Ben