LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.07 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 7 15:25:21 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

07 October 2005 * Volume 04

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Etymology" [E]

> From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.28 (09) [D/E]
>
> Well, technically, the title of Joyce's book is "Finnegans Wake" (no
> apostrophe). Also, I've only ever heard the term "gobstoppers" in
> connection
> with Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (and in the film
> verion, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"), in which one of Willy
> Wonka's experimental candies is called the Everlasting Gobstopper. "Gob"
> is
> another word for "mouth".

We had gobstoppers when I was a kid in Scotland in the 60's, so it's well
before Willy Wonka I think.

The idea of an "Everlasting <Sweet>" is very old too. My mother told me her
headmaster in Musselburgh was called "The Everlasting Jub-Jub" /'dZub'dZub/
because of his habit of always moving his jaw as if he was sucking on a
sweet (a jub-jub is something like a very small wine gum, I think). There
was also an actual sweet which was a strip of soft toffee that took a long
time to suck your way through called an "Everlasting Strip".

The word "gob" /gVb/ is common in Scots, always considered impolite. It
means "mouth" as a noun, or "to hawk and spit" as a verb. To gob someone
with something is to hit them in the face with it, as we saw in earlier
postings of "The Portree Kid" where someone "gubbed him wi an ashtray made
oot a curlin stane".

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/