LL-L "History" 2005.10.07 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 7 18:43:06 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

07 October 2005 * Volume 05

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.10.07 (01) [E]

Hi, Ron,
about the migration of Saxons:

Archaeologists in our region (Hadeln/Lower Elbe) found out, that some
villages, specially near the shore, in the marshlands, had been given up
totally, whilst others, situated deeper in the mainland, partly just were
thinned by their population.

Assumeably reasons *could* have been any climatical/hydrological changes.
What we know is, that there are very old settlings in the marshlands without
any 'Wurt'(artificial hill), called 'Maifeld'. Later the floods obviously
got higher and enforced the inhabitants to build these 'Wurten', and, much
later, dykes.

This vacuum, left by the Saxons, partly was filled up by Frisians, spreading
along the whole coast of the (Eastern) North Sea.

But they must have come in peace, because they, for my opinion, needed
logistical help from those people being left in the area, eg. timber and
food for the first years.

Under the influence of these daring Frisians I further guess, the Saxons
step for step re-settled nearer the coasts. They saw and learned, how it
could be managed to build 'Wurten' and houses there on the vast islands far
offshore.

Folks now ethnolocically got mixed up, but under a clear Saxon dominance
(different only in Land Wursten, north of Bremerhaven, and North Frisland in
the Husum areas). Their social organization and structures were very
similar: both Frisians and Northern *coastal* Saxons were free men by birth
and elected their leaders out of their own midst, mostly just on demand and
not heritable.

I guess this as a basical condition for all new settling-ambitions along the
continental coasts: every hand was needed with all its force to make
survival possible.

It was very different on the mainlands, and this kept on for nearly a
thousand years.

As far as I'm able to recognize there are Frisian (Ingvaeonic?) words in the
marshlands, especially regarding water-techniques, which you won't find just
20 km away from the shore.

Just- all of this is regarding the very special development in the coastal
areas and doesn't say anything about the Eastern parts of Holstein. But
anyway it could have caused a domino-effect...

> Do we know anything concret about the duration of migration to Britain?  I
> was under the impression that there was an initial mass migration wave
> followed by a period of gradual migration.

If you are really interested I could make some investigations, because there
is an archeological institute in the village of Bederkesa, not far from
Bremerhaven. They are very capable in this special topic. (I *will* do,
because I'm curious, too ;-))

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Thanks a lot, Jonny!

In the meantime I've located a bit of relevant information that may be of
itnerest to some:

Genetic evidence:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/tcga/tcgapdf/Weale-MBE-02-AS.pdf
http://www.mcdonald.cam.ac.uk/genetics/forster1995english.pdf