LL-L "History" 2005.10.07 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 7 21:51:35 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

07 October 2005 * Volume 07

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.10.07 (05) [E]

I've always thought that the Frisians migrated to North Frisia many
centuries later than the Saxons left for England, maybe 500 or more years
between both events. So the vacuum left by the Saxons then was not filled
up by Frisians. And remember that Old Saxon was a very "ingvaeonic"
language itself, not less than Frisian, so words of this type in present
day Saxon areas can be relicts of Old Saxon, or Frisian loans from much
later. Old Saxon is not the direct ancestor of what is called Low Saxon
nowadays, because it was Franconized so thoroughly that it lost almost all
the ingvaeonic features. The population of North Frisia migrated much
later from West and/or East Frisia, where they became direct neighbours
of the Jutish speaking population of Schleswig. That is why North Frisian
has so many Danish loanwords. Later the Schleswigers gave up Jutish for
Low Saxon.

Ingmar

Jonny Meibohm schreev:
>about the migration of Saxons:
>
>Archaeologists in our region (Hadeln/Lower Elbe) found out, that some
>villages, specially near the shore, in the marshlands, had been given up
>totally, whilst others, situated deeper in the mainland, partly just were
>thinned by their population.
>
>Assumeably reasons *could* have been any climatical/hydrological changes.
>What we know is, that there are very old settlings in the marshlands
without
>any 'Wurt'(artificial hill), called 'Maifeld'. Later the floods obviously
>got higher and enforced the inhabitants to build these 'Wurten', and, much
>later, dykes.
>
>This vacuum, left by the Saxons, partly was filled up by Frisians,
spreading
>along the whole coast of the (Eastern) North Sea.
>
>But they must have come in peace, because they, for my opinion, needed
>logistical help from those people being left in the area, eg. timber and
>food for the first years.
>
>Under the influence of these daring Frisians I further guess, the Saxons
>step for step re-settled nearer the coasts. They saw and learned, how it
>could be managed to build 'Wurten' and houses there on the vast islands
far
>offshore.
>
>Folks now ethnolocically got mixed up, but under a clear Saxon dominance
>(different only in Land Wursten, north of Bremerhaven, and North Frisland
in
>the Husum areas). Their social organization and structures were very
>similar: both Frisians and Northern *coastal* Saxons were free men by
birth
>and elected their leaders out of their own midst, mostly just on demand
and
>not heritable.
>
>I guess this as a basical condition for all new settling-ambitions along
the
>continental coasts: every hand was needed with all its force to make
>survival possible.
>
>It was very different on the mainlands, and this kept on for nearly a
>thousand years.
>
>As far as I'm able to recognize there are Frisian (Ingvaeonic?) words in
the
>marshlands, especially regarding water-techniques, which you won't find
just
>20 km away from the shore.
>
>Just- all of this is regarding the very special development in the coastal
>areas and doesn't say anything about the Eastern parts of Holstein. But
>anyway it could have caused a domino-effect...
>
>> Do we know anything concret about the duration of migration to
Britain?  I