LL-L "History" 2005.10.08 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 8 19:52:43 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 08 October 2005 * Volume 02

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.10.07 (07) [E]

Hi, Ingmar,

you wrote:

> I've always thought that the Frisians migrated to North Frisia many
> centuries later than the Saxons left for England, maybe 500 or more years
> between both events.

It's not North Frisia I'm writing about. I just mentioned it in this
context, but it may have run differently there.

My home region is the marshland at the estuary of the Elbe- and the
Weser-river, and the inhabitants (dominatingly Saxons) had left their early
settlings at ca. A.D. 500 - maybe some 50 or more years before or
thereafter.
The Frisians came at ca. A.D. 700; that is a proved fact for the area of
'Land Wursten' on the eastern side of the Weser-river.

Greater parts of the land which now is a whole, protected by dikes, formerly
was an  uncountable accumulation of islands, and it took several hundred
years of sedimentical movements, partly supported by mencraft, to become a
coherent unit.

> And remember that Old Saxon was a very "ingvaeonic"
> language itself, not less than Frisian, so words of this type in present
> day Saxon areas can be relicts of Old Saxon, or Frisian loans from much
> later.

Yes- I'm very aware of this. There have been several batches of immigration
of 'Hollandish' people later- beginning in the 12. and ending in the 18.
century. Partly you still today can find out the areas they came in; they
kept some traditions, and you find some LS-words over here which clearly are
of Western-LS origin.
But there are some location names and historical theories and sagas that
point to Frisian influence from the times before A.D. 1000.
In my home village (to a great extend it kept to be an isolated network of
islands up to the 14. century) a special, privilegued group of people were
called _Erbsaten_ till the end of the 18. century, unlikely to the
sorrounding area where the same people were named _Erbexen_ (from OSaxon
'ekson', G: 'besitzen; zu Eigen sein/haben', E: 'to own').

BTW: in the above mentioned 'Land Wursten' (they called themselves
_Wurtsaten_; look above) Frisian influences regarding language, customs and
(location) names are still very alive, though it is a small area of about 30
km in length and just 4-9 km in width. But this isn't typically, because it
was a real Frisian enclave with enduring relations to their homelands at the
western side of the Weser river.

> Old Saxon is not the direct ancestor of what is called Low Saxon
> nowadays, because it was Franconized so thoroughly that it lost almost all
> the ingvaeonic features.

... but less along the coasts?! I can't see any 'unique' Low Saxon today,
and I doubt that it ever had been.
And Old Saxon? Just a handful of reliable, but fragmentary sources there
are, and the Saxons were spread from the Danish border down to Burgundy,
from the Elbe to any mystical "Lands End". I don't think them to have
carried with them a *Saxon Duden* or *OSD* ('Old Saxon Dictionary')
throughout their long journeys ;-).
In that 'true' Old Saxon-times they already made very different evolutions
in social structures even within continental Europe. Has there at any time
existed something like a real homogenuous language as *the one* ancestor of
LS?

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm