LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.09 (03) [E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 9 21:39:08 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 09 October 2005 * Volume 03

From: Dan Prohaska <danielprohaska at bluewin.ch>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" [E]

David,
You gave PGmc *blaikos for "white". I assume you are giving the masculine
singular nominative of the strong declination. This PGmc ending is generally
reconstructed *-az which is the equivalent ending of Latin <-us> and Greek
<-os>. The word "colourless" ought to be reconstructed as PGmc *blaikaz.
Dan

***
From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"2005.10.02 (04) [E/German]

"bleach
    O.E. blæcan, from P.Gmc. *blaikos "white," from PIE *bhleg- "to gleam,"
root of blanche, blank, bleak and probably black. The connection seems to be
"burning, blazing, shining, whiteness." That the same root yielded words for
"black" and "white" is probably because both are colorless, and perhaps
because both are associated with burning."