LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.10 (02) [E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 10 23:00:12 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 10 October 2005 * Volume 02

From: Hugo Zweep <Zweep at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.07 (11) [E]

Hold on - we've gone past your "kluntje". In Winschoten, Groningen in the
1940s I recall "klontje suker" or "suker klontjes" which were dropped into
coffee cups by the adults or pilfered by me so I could crunch on them. They
were used by my mother after we moved to Australia and we still called them
klontjes as in "do you want one lump or two".

Where does kluntje/klontje come from?

Hugo Zweep

----------

From: Hugo Zweep <Zweep at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.08 (05) [D/E]

Sorry Ron. My question answered. Just catching up.

Hugo Zweep

----------

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.10.09 (02) [D/E/LS]

  Reinhard/Ron

  ***

  Middle Flemish:

    MIJN BOEL

    Mijn boel, daer al mijn vruechd aen steit,

  Modern Dutch:

    MET MIJN BOEL

    Met mijn boel kan ik mijn vreugde delen,
Hi Ron,
I would use "geliefde"  for the old world "boel" in modern Dutch.
 Boel in modern Dutch/Flemish  has mostly a totally different meaning
(something like troubles in English)
It was also used as "lover", somebody who loves someone outside the
marriage. (Which might have been the origin for the "troubles")

groetjes
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene