LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.14 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 14 20:23:30 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 14 October 2005 * Volume 05

From: "heather rendall" <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.14 (02) [D/E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>hanging rods<

Could this be something like the hanging shelves to be found in the houses
of the paysan in France?

 They comprise a wide board slung by rope or wire from the beams of the
ceiling, where fresh food such as bread and cheese would be placed between
meals out of the way of mice/ rats/ cats and. I suppose, children! I can
well imagine that it offers a safe roost for the chickens that wandered
freely in and out of the kitchen. Though whether that makes the bread safe
from the birds????????????????

At least a little bird would be safe there.

Heather

----------

From: "heather rendall" <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.13 (01) [E/LS/German]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>Uckermark <

Ron

Can you explain the meaning ( if any) of the Ucker part of this name?

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Heather!

> Can you explain the meaning ( if any) of the Ucker part of this name?

I don't really know, wish that I did, but believe that the _Ucker_ part is
a river, since we get Uckermark (_-mark_ being a staked region) and
_Uckermünde_ (_-münde_ being 'mouth (of a river)'), the latter of which
is a heath areas now partly in Germany and partly in Poland.  Yes, there
is a river called Ucker whose source is in the Uckermark.

Given its location, I would not be surprised to find that the name Ucker
is of Slavonic origin.