LL-L "Traditions" 2005.10.18 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 18 14:58:04 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

18 October 2005 * Volume 01

From: Jo Thys <jo.thijs1 at telenet.be>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2005.10.17 (01) [E]

Hoi Ron,

> However, before that, I wonder if anyone can explain why one name for this
> holiday (besides Martinmas, St. Martin's Day and St. Martin's Feast) is
> Hollantide.

According  http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/cfwm/cf108.htm  hollantide is " a
word derived from the English All hallowen tide, 'the Season of All Saints
[u].' "

Vriendelijke Groeten,

Jo Thys

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Ron,

A simpler Yorkshire variant:

If t'ice in November'll bear a duck
The rest on't season, tha'll 'ave slush 'n muck

Paul

  England:

  If ducks do slide at Hollantide
  At Christmas they will swim.
  If ducks do swim at Hollantide
  At Christmas they will slide.
  Winter is on his way
  At St. Martin's Day.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Thanks, Jo and Paul.

Paul, consider this Low Saxon variant from the northeastern region
(Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania):

Wenn de Gäus üm Martini up Ies stahn, möten se Wiehnachten in 'ne Schiet
gahn.

Transliterated:
Wen de goys' üm Martini up ys staan, moeten sey Wynachten in de schyt gaan.

Translated:
"If geese stand on ice around Martinmas they must walk in muck on
Christmas."

(No, it does not start with "When the geese hang around Martini on ice ...")

Geese play a special role on this holiday: they are eaten as a punishment
for giving away St. Martin's hiding place with their noice.  Yep.  Them guys
sure had it coming.

By the way, the usual way to say "Martin" (and "Matthew") in Low Saxon is
"Matten" (["mat=n]), but this does not apply in the case of this saint, not
even in Protestant circles.

(back in Seattle)