LL-L "Delectables" 2005.10.18 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 18 16:42:35 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

18 October 2005 * Volume 03

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Delectables" [E]

> From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Delectables"
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
>
> tonight in our 'whale-hunters-'club we came across the E: 'toddy".
> Extraordinary stories ranking around it, and even the good old German
> 'Kraut' had a certain rule.
> Is the 'toddy' still alive, and what's its origin and basic recipe?

"Toddy" is Scots and it's an invalid's drink made by adding a very little
sugar and whisky to a glass of hot water. It's soothing, helps you to sleep
and the sugar will give you some energy if you're not eating.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Jonny, Lowlanders,

This is an etymological cross-over.

The origin of the word "toddy" is Hindi (Hindustani): ताड़ी _tāŗī_ (_tADI_).
Originally, it denoted sap from certain types of palm trees (ताड़ _tāŗ_
(_tAD_) 'palm' < Sanskrit ताल _tāla_ 'palmyra'), especially palmyra, wild
date palm and coconut tree.  This sap is used in mixed drinks.

The word "grog" is used in English as well, may in fact be of English
origin.  It is widely believed that it was named after "Old Grog," the
nickname for the 18th-century Admiral Vernon who always wore grogram coats.
"Grog" denotes rum mixed with water, originally half-and-half, most popular
among old-time sailors, and this is no doubt how North German sailors
adopted it and introduced it to their "land rat" cohorts.

In Australia and New Zealand, "grog" means pretty much the same as "booze,"
so any sort of alcoholic drink, including beer.  I suppose this hails back
to time when in the faraway colonies "booze" was "grog" by default.

There was a time when I believed there was a connection between "grog,"
Norwegian _gløgg_ and Swedish _glögg_, the latter of which denote sorts of
Scandinavian winter concoctions, the nouns being derived from a verb meaning
'to warm up' or 'to mull' (Swedish _glödga_).

When I was a child, my parents would occasionally enjoy some rum grog on
winter evenings.  We children would get hot elderberry juice instead, on
special occasions "wine grog": some red wine with hot water and sugar --
diluted _Glühwein_ without the spices, if you will.  At that time, people
used to believe that a bit of red wine once in a while was good for
children.  When we where under the weather, my mother would sometimes give
us raw whipped egg with a shot of red wine in it.  The pinkish frothy slime
looked almost as disgusting as it tasted.