LL-L "Morphology" 2005.10.21 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 21 20:17:19 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

21 October 2005 * Volume 04

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2005.10.21 (02) [E]

Persons, especially proper names but also words that denote family names
like Oma, Opa, Ma, Pa etc get the old genitive suffix when in dative.<

Sorry but am I being very thick here ?  I cannot see any dative use in the
examples given ( bar one) .

Oma = grandmother
ik gao naor Omas = I'm going to (visit) grandmother

I agree with Ron here. This is an abbreviation of -  I am going to Granny's

hedde Omas bril ok gezien? = have you seen granny's glasses?
Straight forward genitive

Tôn = Anthony
ik gif dä an Tônne = I'll give it to Anthony
Agreed this is a dative but this is an old dative ending anyway  like zu
Hause
so no connection with genitive

dì is Tôns hös = this is Anthony's house
Straight forward genitive

Fikkie = general dog's name
dä butje is af Fikkies = that bone is Fikkie's
Straight forward genitive

dä's Fikkies butje = that's Fikkie's bone
Straight forward genitive

Heather

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Yes, now that you mention it... that Brabant construction looks like the
English usage!
But not in all cases: "ik gif dä an Omas/an Tônne" I give it to granny/Tony
Oma and Tôn have -s/-e, but English doesn't have an -'s there.
The interesting thing is that it does not appear in the rest of Dutch and
its varieties, and that the modern genitive suffix -s isn't used in all
cases here, but a much older form in -e.

Ingmar

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>