LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.10.28 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 28 23:51:48 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

28 October 2005 * Volume 05

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.10.28 (04) [A/E]

Hey there Ron,
Reading:
Hey het d'n dray ruut.
<He hett den Dreih rut.>
[HEI hEt=n dra:\I "ru:t]
("He has the turn out [= down = mastered].")
He has mastered the trick.
He's got it figured out.
He has it down.
He's got(ten) the hang of it.

Dutch for to turn is draaien. A little light went on. That must be the same
"dray" as in the Dutch "hij kon zijn draai niet vinden " (He could not feel
comfortable in the situation, or he did not know what to do with himself in
a certain situation). And also think of the English idiom "to turn tricks",
where both meanings of the word are used one after the other.

Wat een gekke wereld toch. Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Ha, die Jacqueline!

> Wat een gekke wereld toch. Jacqueline

Ja, maar het Nederlandse (met zijn vele dialectgroepen of "streektalen") en
het Nedersaksisch zijn toch nabij verwant, zijn "zus-talen", en hun
dialecten hebben sinds vele eeuwen een geografisch continuüm, dus tenminste
indirecte contacten, gehad.  Dus vind ik het niet te verrassent.

> And also think of the English idiom "to turn tricks",
> where both meanings of the word are used one after the other.

Do you also mean it in the sense of ... well ... the professional pursuit of
the ladies that you see standing along Seattle's Aurora Boulevard after
dark?  Surely you don't mean that, do you?

> "hij kon zijn draai niet vinden "

Hmmm ... that sound familiar.

Hy kun syn dray nich vinden.
<He kunn sien Dreih nich finnen.>
[hEI kUn zi:n dra:\I nIC fIn:]
"He could not find his turn."

Is this a real LS phrase, or am I just influenced by Dutch?

By the way, "turn" in the sense of "It's my turn (in a queue)" is _törn_
[t9:\Vn] in several Low Saxon dialects of the Lower Elbe region.  I suspect
it was introduced by sailors who picked up English.  So you can actually say
this:

Dat is (nu) myn törn.
<Dat is (nu) mien Törn.>
[dat Is (nu) "mi:n t9:\Vn]
"It is my turn (now)."

Alternatively (sounding rather German to my Lower Elbe ears), you can say it
this way:

Nu bün ik an de reyg'.
<Nu bün ik an de Rehg'.>
[nu bYn "?Ik a:\n de rE:\IG]
"Now am I at the row/line/queue."
(Cf. German _Nun/Jetzt bin ich an der Reihe._)
"It's my turn now."