LL-L "Orthography" 2005.10.27 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 30 06:15:22 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 29 October 2005 * Volume 08

From: Ian Pollock <ispollock at shaw.ca>
Subject: Orthography

  From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

  Salut, Luc!

  Had you said "seven consonants + two vowels," I'd have said, "I can do
better than that: "schrikplank" (*nine* consonants + two vowels).

Yeah, but that's nine *orthographic* consonants and, if I'm not mistaken,
only 7 phonemic ones. That's cheating. :)

As far as consonant clusters I believe the Native American speakers of
languages in the Salishan family have us all beat - check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salishan

-Ian

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

> Yeah, but that's nine *orthographic* consonants and, if I'm not mistaken,
> only 7 phonemic ones. That's cheating. :)

Oy, Ian!  You weren' supposed to notice!  Shoot!  That ain't fair!  I feel
exposed.  ;-)

> As far as consonant clusters I believe the Native American speakers of
> languages in the Salishan family have us all beat

Yeah, that couldn't be closer to home, at least not geographically (here in
an around Seattle).  But ... and there's a but, a riposte, here too ... I've
long suspected that this is an orthographic problem also.  I'm under the
impression that, due to stress-conditioned rules, a very large portion of
vowels are devoiced.  Since most speakers of Western languages are
unfamiliar with this, those that first put Salishan languages into script
left out all those voiceless vowels.  All those occurrences of superscipt
"w" in Salishan indicate rounding of the preceding consonant(s), which in my
book points to devoiced /u/.  I've closely listened to and watched the lip
movements of speakers of Lushootseed, Skokomish Twana, and Samish, and I
could swear they use voiceless vowels.  And I suspect the very same to be
the case in several Caucasian language varieties that are likewise known for
alleged vowel scarcity (and happen to share ejective consonants with the
Salishan languages).

Yes, vowels *can* be voiceless, absurd though this may appear.  In other
words, they are whispered.  (When you whisper you actually use only
voiceless vowels.)  The generally best known cases of vowel devoicing are in
Japanese (e.g., /site/ _shite_ -> _shte_, /imasu/ _imasu_ -> _imas_).
Listen to ordinary speech in Portuguese of Portugal!  Most of the time you
hear only the vowels of syllables with primary stress (although native
speakers claim to hear all of them, while they may only *know* they are
there); e.g., _desculpe_ sounding like _dshkuwp_ to our ears.

Fortunately, we don't seem to have such a "problem" in the Lowlands area.
Or do we?

***

Links:
http://www.lushootseed.net/