LL-L "Language use" 2005.09.02 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 2 18:31:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.SEP.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Leslie Decker <leslie at volny.cz>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.09.01 (09) [A/E]

Ron wrote:

> Hi, Leslie!
>
>> I think that depends on the person.  I tend to be a sponge, and pick up
>> the
>> speech patterns (accent, word choice, etc.) of the person I'm talking to,
>> even if it's just for a short time.
>
> Hey! This makes two of us (but I assume no one calls *you* "parrot head").

Hey, don't give them any ideas! :-)

> It can be embarrassing, since some people might think you're mocking them.

This was a real problem for me when I worked in restaurants.  I didn't mind
coming out with a Texan accent, since people tended to regard that as safe
and comfortable, but when faced with a table pf people of a different ethnic
group than my own I really went out of my way to speak as neutrally as
possible, so that I wouldn't be perceived as mocking.

>> Liza DuPlooy, if she's reading this,
>> can confirm this, as she teases me about it constantly. :-)
>
> Ah! Tell her to leave you alone and behave.  (But does she call you
> "parrot
> head"?)

Ik denk dat zij het het op het moment heel druk heeft met haar studie...zij
is niet tevreden als ze geen "A" verdient...  But you can still find us
quite often, sitting in various Austin pubs, confusing the people around us
by playing multi-lingual Scrabble or Boggle (the basic rule is that any
shared language of all the players is accepted.  Liza and I fudge a bit with
Dutch and Afrikaans, but whatever.  My friend Adriel and I are currently in
the middle of a long-term email Scrabble game with English, Dutch, German,
Czech and Spanish.  It's a mess!) Anyone in the area is welcome to join!

Leslie Decker

----------

From: Marsha Wilson <NanaMarsha at msn.com>

Oh, how embarassing.  To tell you the truth, I guess I'm so anxious to get
to the content, I haven't been paying attention to the subject lines.  I
honestly never noticed you had the language key there.  Mea culpa.
Marsha
  From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
  Subject: Language use

  Hi, Marsha!

  Doesn't it help that I "key" the languages in the subject line (in
  brackets)?

  [A] Afrikaans
  [Ap] Appalachian
  [B] Brabantish
  [D] Dutch
  [E] English
  [F] Frisian
  [L] Limburgish
  [LS] Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
  [N] Northumbrian
  [S] Scots
  [Sh] Shetlandic
  [V] (West) Flemish
  [Z] Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

  The key is part of the masthead of each issue.
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hey, Leslie!

That game sounds way interesting.  Too bad it's too far to commute between
Washington and Texas!

> > Hey! This makes two of us (but I assume no one calls *you* "parrot
> > head").
>
> Hey, don't give them any ideas! :-)

Don't worry!  My wife invented this not only because of the mentioned
personal trait but also because she saw a photograph of my maternal
Pomeranian granddad (chauve à la mode contemporaine) and decided I had his
round skull.

Marsha dear:

> I honestly never noticed you had the language key there.  Mea culpa.

Never you mind!  We still love you.

It's nice to know that you plow through many of the texts in different
varieties.  Have you noticed any improvement in your comprehension?  Once
you sort out what you read by variety labels you should be able to file the
information away more systematically in your mind.  Just feel free to ask if
you're not sure about something.

Enjoy!