LL-L "Language use" 2005.09.01 (09) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 2 00:25:02 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.SEP.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Leslie Decker <leslie at volny.cz>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.09.01 (05) [D/E/LS/S]

I think that depends on the person.  I tend to be a sponge, and pick up the
speech patterns (accent, word choice, etc.) of the person I'm talking to,
even if it's just for a short time.  Liza DuPlooy, if she's reading this,
can confirm this, as she teases me about it constantly. :-)

Leslie Decker

----------

From: Marsha Wilson <NanaMarsha at msn.com>

Aye!  Mair.  Frisian an aw - aye!

How else will I learn?  I read every syllable, even if I'm not sure exactly
which language I'm reading.  I sound them out and most times can at least
get the gist of what's being said.  If the writers could note what language
they're writing in, which may seem obvious to scholars, but isn't to me,
it'd be of great help.

Thanks,
Marsha
  Mair Scots please!  An Frisian an aw!

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Hi, Marsha!

> How else will I learn?  I read every syllable, even if I'm not sure
> exactly which
> language I'm reading.  I sound them out and most times can at least get
> the
> gist of what's being said.  If the writers could note what language
> they're writing
> in, which may seem obvious to scholars, but isn't to me, it'd be of great
> help.

Doesn't it help that I "key" the languages in the subject line (in
brackets)?

[A] Afrikaans
[Ap] Appalachian
[B] Brabantish
[D] Dutch
[E] English
[F] Frisian
[L] Limburgish
[LS] Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
[N] Northumbrian
[S] Scots
[Sh] Shetlandic
[V] (West) Flemish
[Z] Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

The key is part of the masthead of each issue.

Are you suggesting that we indicate this at every language switch?

Hi, Leslie!

> I think that depends on the person.  I tend to be a sponge, and pick up
> the
> speech patterns (accent, word choice, etc.) of the person I'm talking to,
> even if it's just for a short time.

Hey! This makes two of us (but I assume no one calls *you* "parrot head").
It can be embarrassing, since some people might think you're mocking them.
In my case the compulsion is particularly strong when I am spoken to by
people from (fake) Saxony (i.e., the German state that usurped our good
name), from the American South and with certain "accents" of England,
especially hoity-toity ones.  I don't have this "need" when I'm around
general American "accents," though I "coast in neutral" when I'm exposed to
them.  I work around a person who, although Irish, has a hoity-toity
Southern English "accent," and other people have noticed that I pronounce
many words differently when I converse with her or am around her for
extended periods.  I wonder why.  Perhaps it's because that's the first type
of English I was exposed to and aspired to in my formative years.

> Liza DuPlooy, if she's reading this,
> can confirm this, as she teases me about it constantly. :-)

Ah! Tell her to leave you alone and behave.  (But does she call you "parrot
head"?)

Dag, Liza! Moenie ons Leslie pla nie! En skryf binnekort weer! Ons mis jou.

Groete,