LL-L "Traditions" 2005.09.01 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 1 23:59:43 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.SEP.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2005.08.31 (08) [E]

Hi Críostóir,
> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2005.08.31 (07) [E]
>
> Thanks to our Luc, Sid, David and Ron for their responses.
>
> My first reaction to Luc's assertion of the relative popularity of
> horse meat in Brabant is to ask whether that popularity could be be
> due to French influence. I must be candid and admit complete ignorance
> of the role of horse meat in French cuisine here, but I know there are
> no taboos against using horse meat in the foods of northern France.
In Western Flanders there are "horse-meat-butchers" as well. In many a
restaurant it is served with fries and lettuce (and the meat is very
tender and somewhat sweeter than beaf)
Horse-meat used to be eaten by the poorer  people, but that has changed
sincethen.

> I suppose this leads me to a broader question: what foods (apart from
> the obvious, such as cat, dog, rat) are taboo in one Lowlandic culture
> but acceptable in another? It was not that long ago that pigeon was
> considered perfectly acceptable mainstream food in many parts of
> England (urban pigeons, unhygienic as they are, never so). Jellied
> eels are eaten with relish in parts of Essex and London but hardly
> anywhere else. Pike was considered a (somewhat unusual) foodstuff
> where I grew up.
Pigeons are also  on the menu in restaurants. And i must  add that it
taiste very good also.It isn't rubbery at all!  "Kwakkels" (D:
kwartels, E: quails) are also very tasty, but a bit small to 'handdle'.
We love to eat snales , like in France.
In wintertime , or in the 'old days' when there was something to  be
celebrated  there was always "beaf-tongue" in madeira-sauce on the
menu.   Now we eat also the tongues from pigs and cheep.

groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2005.09.01 (03) [E]

Our Gary wrote:
"And how many people from Essex/London do you know? Were you sat up North
wearing your flatcap and reading a copy of "pigeon fanciers" as you wrote
this one?"

Number of persons from Essex I know: one, not particulary well.
Number of persons from London I know: one, same.

I was going to limit jellied eels to Cockneys but a voice at the back of my
head reminded me of a segment I once saw (probably on Countryfile) about a
bunch of Essex jellied eel lovers who were incensed that what they perceived
as "their cuisine" had been monopolised by Cockneys.

That'll teach me to try counter-stereotyping... (My wife won't let me wear
flat caps and the only pigeons I know are the filthy, lame vermin that
habitually slurry the end of our street.) Surely if you were to stereotype
me it would be as a short, pasty-munching, cider-slurping, Jethro-loving
miner? :)

"First time I ever tried eels was in Germany about a year ago and they were
delicious - not sure I'd try them jellied though - I'll have to look in my
Cockney cookbook and think about it."

Our local supermarket has always offered roll mops, even though there's no
apparent local appetite for them.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Heather wrote:

>  Look at the county badge of Kent, in England. It is a white horse on a
> red
> background.

Not only that, but both the colors of the badge and the stance of the
horse -- known as _Sachsenross_ ("Saxon Horse") in German -- are like those
traditional among Continental Saxons, still to be found in coats of arms
today:

England:
  Kent: http://marshdna.arrrg.org/KentArms.jpg
       http://www.allstates-flag.com/fotw/flags/gb-kent.html
       http://www.ngw.nl/int/gbr/k/images/kent.jpg
     Deptford: http://www.ngw.nl/int/gbr/d/images/deptford.jpg

Germany:
  Lower Saxony: http://cdl.niedersachsen.de/blob/images/C3447336_L20.gif
       http://www.allstates-flag.com/fotw/images/d/de-ni.gif
     Brunswick: http://www.hansestadt-uelzen.de/hanbilder/neuland.JPG
  Northrhine-Westphalia:
http://www.myejournal.net/japan/media/bundesl%C3%A4nder/nordrhein-westfalen-wappen.gif
     Westphalia: http://www.shadowrun.de/sr/material/wappen/westphalen.gif

Netherlands:
  Twente: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/n/nl-rg-tw.gif

Historical:
  Brunswick (19th c.):
http://www.allstates-flag.com/fotw/images/d/de-bs%5E66.gif
  Kingdom of Hanover: http://www.koenigreich-hannover.de/uklandesfahne.html

Coincidence or connection?

I can't find any pictures of Kentish gable horses and don't remember their
look.  I do remember, however, that Southeastern England's medieval houses,
espcially the look of their half-timbering, look more like what is known as
Saxon architecture of the Continent.

Coincidence or connection?

Wondering ...