LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.09.01 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 1 23:58:16 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.SEP.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.08.31 (10) [E/German]

Hi Gary

Subject: LL-L Lexicon

> thought I'd start a new topic.

Go for it!

Just one point: Drímeolce / DrímilcemónaD refers to the fact that in this
month the quality of pasturage at this time was so rich the cows needed
milking three times daily. Oh, & you also want to look at Tolkien's
calendeers, just for the entertainment.

> Ok my questions are what are the exact translations of
> the ??? months?; what makes September so Holy and
> November a time of Sacrifice? and what's that about a
> victorious March and dry milk May???; and are there
> Lowlands languages that still use pre-Christian month
> names?

Lekker string,

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: Isaac M. Davis <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>

  Gary Taylor wrote:

  Looking through an Old English dictionary I discovered the names of the
  months as follows:

  January : æfterra Géola (after yule)
  February: SolmónaD (mud month)
  March: Hlýda / HréDmónaD (loud/quick/victory??? month)
  April: EastermónaD (Easter (non-Christian) month)
  May: Drímeolce / DrímilcemónaD (dry milk???)
  June:æærra LíDa / MidsumarmónaD / SéremónaD (early
  mild??? month / midsummer month / dry month)
  July:æfterra LíDa (later mild month)
  August:Rugern / WéodmónaD (rye-harvest month /
  grass(weed) month)
  September:HáligmónaD / HærffestmónaD (Holy month /
  Harvest month)
  October:WinterfylléD (Ripe for winter)
  November:BlótmónaD (month of sacrifice)
  December:æærra Géola / Géol / GéolmónaD (Yule etc)

  Ok my questions are what are the exact translations of
  the ??? months?; what makes September so Holy and
  November a time of Sacrifice? and what's that about a
  victorious March and dry milk May???; and are there
  Lowlands languages that still use pre-Christian month
  names?

Hobbit English? Seriously. Professor Tolkien devised Modern English
descendents of those AS month-names, supposedly in use in the Shire, for The
Lord of the Rings. I don't think they're actually used in the text, but he
goes into great detail about them in the Appendices. It's all quite
fascinating, though I always thought that Winterfilth sounded unpleasant,
and unfortunately, that's my own birth month.

Here's a link which talks about it (and the alternate weekday-names that the
hobbits were supposed to have used, as well):
http://www.shire-reckoning.com/calendar.html

Regards,

Isaac M. Davis

----------

From: Isaac M. Davis <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.08.31 (02) [D/E/LS]

David Winterburn wrote:

  Another thing I have noted is my children tend to call their mother "Mom"
  where I always called my mother "Mum".

David,

That's something that's changing in Canada as well. I've always chalked it
up to American influence, like the tendency for my younger sister (14 years
to my 21) to say 'ninth grade, tenth grade', where I'd say 'grade nine,
grade ten'. Interestingly, in my partner Vanessa's family, her mother has
four daughters, of whom Vanessa is the youngest. The older two call their
mother 'mum', and the younger two call her 'mom'. I'll admit that these
sorts of changes cause me to become a little militant, on principle, but I
always bite my lip when my partner calls her mother 'mom'.

On a related note, my older sister habitually says 'y'all', in spite of
having, like me, spent her formative years in southeastern Ontario, where
those who distinguish tend to say 'youse' (unstressed pronunciation, and the
way I like to write it: 'yiz'), or, if they're too middle- or upper-class
for that sort of thing, 'you guys'. I called my sister on her usage once,
and she said, "Well, what do you say? 'You guys'?" Well, I'm usually okay
with the ambiguity of 'you', personally. I guess maybe to distinguish I say
'you guys', but I've never noticed myself saying it.

Regards,

Isaac M. Davis