LL-L "Traditions" 2005.09.02 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 2 19:20:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.SEP.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2005.09.01 (08) [E]

Our Luc wrote:
"Pigeons are also on the menu in restaurants. And i must add that it taiste
very good also.It isn't rubbery at all! "Kwakkels" (D: kwartels, E: quails)
are also very tasty, but a bit small to 'handdle'. We love to eat snales ,
like in France. In wintertime , or in the 'old days' when there was
something to be celebrated there was always "beaf-tongue" in madeira-sauce
on the
menu. Now we eat also the tongues from pigs and cheep."

Quails were always considered haute cuisine in Britain and Ireland - quail
eggs especially so. Both are widely available from some supermarkets now
though. Beef, pig and sheep tongue were favourites in working communities in
both Britain and Ireland - often as sandwich fillers. Consumption of tongue
is rarer nowadays because sliced meat is cheap. Oxtail soup was also
standard lunch time fare until recently.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>I can't find any pictures of Kentish gable horses and don't remember their
look. <

They are mostly made of earthenware/ tile and only used to end either end
of the roof or a gable with.
Next time I'm in town, I'll take my camera with me and see if I can snap a
few!

To many they might just look like a curl or a shaped final.

by the by, there was mention in the paper today of a Topping Out ceremony -
to mark the finish of the exterior of a new public building.

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Hey, Heather!

Thanks for the effort and the info.  It's all quite fascinating to me, as
I'm particularly interested in possibly Old Saxon folklore, material culture
and the like (besides linguistic material) that link Saxon England with the
Continental Saxon areas.  (This includes, by the way, possible links between
place names.)

> They are mostly made of earthenware/ tile and only used to end either end
of the roof or a gable with.

Ah!  The ones on the Continent are usually made from wood, are crossed
extensions of the scantlings (LS _Hüserbalken_, G _Dachgiebelbalken_)
meeting at the gable top (LS _va(r)st_ <Fa(r)st> ~ _vö(r)st_ <Fö(r)st>, G
_First_; "gable": LS _geyvel_ <Gevel>, G _Giebel_).  They are thus integral,
albeit not necessarily mandatory, parts of the half-timbering structure (LS
_rygel(ey)_ <Riegel(ee)>, G _Fachwerk(holz)_ ~ _Fachwerkstruktur_).

In the case of houses on the (Lunenburg) Heath, there is the addition of a
hole underneath the cross, a remnant of the old smoke escape, the old "wind
eye" (= "window").  It's Low Saxon name is _ulen-vlucht_ (<Ulenflucht>
"owl's flight").  I suppose this requires no explanation, except that the
same word also means "dusk," "evening twilight."  (Kind of "romantic," isn't
it?)

> Next time I'm in town, I'll take my camera with me and see if I can snap a
> few!

Splendid! Ta!