LL-L "Language varities" 2005.09.03 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 3 22:28:16 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.SEP.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.09.01 (06) [E/LS]

Hi Ben,
> Heiko, I cannot understand your dialect, but I love to see the different
> dialects fleshed out in writing, as imperfect as that can be. Do you
> pronounce all the umlauts like German pronounces them? Some of that looked
> like Turkish or Finnish with the üö and äö. I like it. I can understand
> some of it because it is similar to English. I can see English words
> coming
> from it.
There are differences to German. Long vowels have a tendency to become
diphtongs. (Not all of them, but quite many of them.) The diphtongs are
often
not as precise as in German, therefore some people write them, others don't.

Example:

ee can become "eey"
öö can become ööy or ooy

etc.

Such melodic vowels do not exist in standard German

Hartlich Gröten,

Heiko

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.09.02 (02) [E]

That is nothing new you tell us, Didi, we know that many Belgians hate the
Holland accent, or maybe rather hate the Hollanders and therefor their
accent? Well, the Dutch don't really care, it is just the inferiority
complex of a minority, or so. I advise you, Didi, to forget about that,
now you live among those horrible, hostile sounding barbarians, and "we
here" , "us", and "them" may not be so appropriate for you anymore now.
You'd better get used to that, if you don't want to feel sick all the time
for the coming four or five years. But I'm sure you can do that ;-) Ingmar