LL-L "Language survival" 2005.09.07 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 7 14:35:39 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.SEP.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2005.09.06 (06) [E]

Criostóir wrote:
> Immersion education in indigenous languages absolutely _is_ better than
the
> nothing you seem to be championing.

Heavens no, I'm not championing that. I just have my doubts whether it will
work at all. Are those new speakers of Irish really using the language, or
is it just another case of "don't know much about the French I took"? Is it
really possible for a language to rise like Phoenix from the ashes like
that? I would love to believe that, but I have yet to be convinced.

Also, Lower Saxon is in some ways different from Irish, for example, because
it is so close to German that the two are much harder to keep separate than
Irish and English, for instance (see Ron's "Patentplatt" examples).

Anyway, it is always a good idea to point out the "other" arguments as well,
especially in a community where everybody basically has the same goals, in
order to get a complete picture. Blame my scientific background; a theory
isn't worth a thing if it can't deal with the "yes, buts".

As to "indigenous": keep in mind that, despite my eloquence in English, I am
not a native speaker. I wasn't sure whether using that word in this context
was politically correct, so I put it in quotation marks in order not to
offend anyone. Which you found offensive. >sigh<

Gabriele Kahn