LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.08 (03) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 8 16:18:50 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.SEP.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L Etymology" 2005.09.08 (09) [A/E]

Haai almal

En hier by ons is die ekwiwalent van _klitschig_ ' kluitjierig' soos in "Die
brood is erg kluitjierig".

Groete

Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.07 (08) [E]

Heather wrote:
"In the South West they have 'clidgy'. I'm not sure about the spelling as I
've never seen it written - only heard it being used."

I know this word but haven't heard it in years. It might be localised as I
don't remember hearing it in the part of (west) Cornwall where I grew up,
although I certainly remember family members from the extreme east of
Cornwall (next to the border with England) using it. I will ask my mother
about it and report back the next time I speak to her. She's from Truro,
which is midway between west and east Cornwall.

Also
"A very useful word. It describes the kind of food texture that sticks to
your teeth when being eaten and necessitates much cleaning of teeth
afterwards with the tongue: i.e. Digestive Biscuits. Cornish Pasties..."

Depends how you make your pasties. :) Most of what are passed off by English
folk as "Cornish" pasties wouldn't be in slightest bit clidgie. Though
pastie recipes are passed down within families (for instance, I make pasties
the way I was taught to make them by my mother), there is a great variation
in style, construction and clidgieness depending on how much potato, swede
and meat (which reduces clidge) is involved.

I may have a pastie tonight for my tea after all this talk...

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.