LL-L "Language survival" 2005.09.08 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 8 18:59:26 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.SEP.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2005.09.08 (01) [A/E]

Hello Lowlanders,
Glad to see this subject coming to life again and am enjoying the vivid
exchanges. From Manx to Hebrew everything is coming up again and arguments
flying back and forth, good activity. From the pragmatic "let them die" to
the idealistic "save them at all cost" (I am leaning more towards the
latter) all shades of opinion are voiced, a good sign for our LLList. In the
end, I feel, it´s the real life that has given, is giving and will give all
the answers. And it seems to me (to add my bit to the discussion) that all
these answers point in one direction: Unless a language is in its range the
primary language in all areas of public and private life, media, education,
administration (notwithstanding the parallel use of a lingua franca) it
will, in the long run, not survive as a living language. I feel that´s the
reality we have to face, as much as I personnally hate it, being an
idealist.
Just to add an anecdote: I am just back from Germany from a meeting with old
classmates, one of whom works with the ministry of education in the
provincial government in Kiel. To fulfil the obligations of the European
Language Charta, they are now hiring volunteers from all over (!) Germany,
give them a three-month crash course in North Frisian (which "habilitates"
them to teach Frisian to schoolchildren) and then send them out into the
field. How naïve can administrators get (or is it maliciousness)???
Kumpelmenten, Mike Wintzer

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language survival

Hi, Mike.

Tada!  It's not only a surprise but also a conspiracy.  We knew you were due
to return.  So we conspired to welcome you back by creating your ideal
element.  And it worked: we enticed you out of the woodwork.

Welcome back!