LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.09.09 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 9 16:31:51 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.SEP.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Críostóir, you wrote regarding our anniversary project
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/):

> Such an outstanding job has been on the anniversary site so far. Reading
> it
> gives you a sense of family, but without being saccharine, and the
> personalities of the many 'characters' who comprise the list come out
> perfectly in the biographies (in whatever language they are posted in).
> The
> whole thing is a joy that conveys to the world, I think, exactly who we
> are
> and what we are about. It's times like this when I wish I could fling my
> necessary anonymity to the winds and join in!

Well, maybe you won't get off that easily.

We are quite willing to anonymize contributions such as translations and
their soundfiles.  This can be done in various ways:

(1) Say "Anonymous" instead of the name, and not mention a place of
residence

(2) Use present (anonymizing) _nom de liste_, and not mention a place of
residence

(3) In the case of facilitators,* mention no name and place at all

* Facilitators are persons that help in any way other than translate and
narrate. This could be technical help or, typically, arranging for other
people, their contacts (usually non-subscribers), translating and/or
narrating.  Everyone's name appears in the colophon
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=colophon), unless they
choose to remain anonymous.

Here's just a brief excerpt from our wish list:

* Irish (Gaeilge)
* Irish English
* Ulster Scots
* Shetlandic