LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.09.10 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 11 03:12:11 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon"

Beste Heiko,

Regarding mathematical terms in a Lowlandic idiom, I'd like to refer you to
"Simon Stevin".

Single-handedly, he coined most of the Dutch words we're using today in
math. He wasn't only a cunning mathematician, a remarkable engineer, a good
accountant, but also linguistically very proud of his native language (16th
century Dutch), judging one of his  writings "Uytspraeck van de weerdicheyt
der Duytse tael (1586)". Definitely an engineer he was in more than one way
*s*.

The guy was born in Bruges, discovered some gravitational laws before
Galileo Galilei did, moved to the Northern Lowlands later on in his life and
became a private teacher of prince Maurits within the Dutch royal family
(amongst many other things). He must be one of the best scientists we ever
had in the Lowlands (but I could be biased, being a mathematician myself
*s*). By the way, his word for math, "wisconst", hints at "wis" (= sure,
certain, true), a word that can still be heard in expressions like "wis en
waarachtig" (= 100% true) and in the verb "vergewissen" (= to make sure).
Today, math is one of the few, if not the only science, in which Dutch words
still abound (other sciences got flooded with French, English and Latin
terms).

You can find most of his works online at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Eadcs/stevin/index.html
and
http://www.library.tudelft.nl/digitresor/?bookname=Wisconstige%20Ghedachtenissen%20deel%201&page=I

Kind greetings,