LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.09.11 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 12 00:56:36 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Folks,

Today I had the pleasure of watching a DVD version of the British movie
(2000) "Billy Elliot" -- at last.  It's a splendid work, but I have one
linguistic nit to pick.  ;-)

The story is set in an economically depressed mining town in England's
northeast during the 1984 mining strikes (a.k.a. Lady Thatcher's triumphal
union bust).  In other words, we are talking about what is generally
considered the homeland of "Geordie," of Northumbrian and Tyneside dialects.
By his accent, Gary Lewis, playing "Dad" (Jackie Elliot), can be clearly
identified as Scottish, even by me -- with a fairly obvious difference
between his "accent" and the "accents" of his sons.  I checked just now and
found that Lewis hails from Glasgow.  I was the only person in the party to
notice this though, the others being born and raised Americans who wouldn't
have known his accent from a bar of green soap, needing my interpreting
services for all characters except for that of Mrs. Wilkinson's (Julie
Walters), who hails from Birmingham and obviously experimented with a
Geordified accent of someone born elsewhere -- which is fine.  ("Ron, what
did he say?" -- Thank goodness for stop and replay functions!)  Perhaps it's
the result of my having dealt with and being exposed to Scots during the
past few years, which makes Geordie a breeze.

This only nit I have to pick ... is it with Gary who didn't try hard enough
doing Geordie, or is it with the cast director?  Maybe it was a compromise,
because the guy made such a good "Dad" and carried off the emotional parts
splendidly.  A sign that even in British film-making with its renown
attention to detail standards a slipping, perhaps?  What's the problem?
Well, in one scene, Billy asks his dad what London (["lUndIn]) is like, and
his dad replies, "I don't know, son. I never made it past Durham" -- and
that with a Scottish accent ...

However, the movie is definitely worth watching for many reasons, not only
for linguistic ones.  I am sure the story and the way it is related will
resonate with many or most of us.  The basic story is that of a boy dealing
with the disintegration of his family in a tough, depressed working-class
environment, and being drawn to dancing, encouraged by a "washed-up"
part-time dance instructor and discouraged by everyone else (as can be
imagined).  (The story is partly inspired by Royal Ballet dancer Philip
Marsden, who is from the North of England, from a family with a militant
mining background.)  Jamie Bell (born 1986 in Billingham) does an absolutely
fantastic job as the boy, Billy.  I haven't seen such convincing, poignant
child acting ever.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A//www.imdb.com/title/tt0249462/&ei=dLokQ6yEMM3qYPDQ9LkH

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249462/