LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.09.15 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 15 21:36:45 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Lowlanders,

Don't forget our ongoing anniversary presentation project!  We will be happy
to add relevant material anytime.  As I had mentioned earlier, this can also
be done anonymously.  Please write to me (sassisch at yahoo.com) if you have
any questions about this.

Site: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/

The latest addition is my Middle Saxon ("Middle Low German") version, in
verse form, in the Lübeck-dialect-based language of the 15th century, as it
was widely spread through international Hanseatic trading.  I based it
almost entirely on the language used in the work _Reynke de vos_, the Middle
Saxon version of the tale about Reynard the Fox (my naughty namesake).

http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=sassysch
"Normal" script version:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=sassysch-roman

The "normal" script version offers vocabulary help. (Rest your cursor
(without clicking) on any words or phrases to see their meanings in Modern
English.)

Those of you who know Dutch and/or Afrikaans, especially those that are
familiar with Flemish, Zeelandic and/or Brabantish, particularly older
Dutch, Zeelandic, Flemish and/or Brabantish, will find the text pretty easy
to understand even without any help.  Yes, all these varieties used to be
really closely related and for the most part mutually comprehensible.  To a
certain, though lesser, degree, this applies also to those familiar with
Middle English and/or Old or Middle Scots.  You might like to compare it
with the Middle English translations:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=english-m
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=english-m-verse1
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=english-m-verse2

My Middle English and Middle Saxon translations in verse come with
soundfiles.  But I consider them provisional, since I am not yet happy with
them and intend to replace them with better versions.

Best regards! Keep 'em coming!