LL-L "In the news" 2005.09.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 16 15:04:23 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.SEP.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: In the news

Folks,

Below please find an article published in the latest issue of Eurolang
(http://www.eurolang.net/).

***

FRISIANS MARK 50 YEARS OF CROSS-BORDER COOPERATION

Auerk/Aurich, Monday, 29 August 2005 Contributed by Onno P. Falkena

"It's about time we stop referring to ourselves as Dutch Frisians or German
Frisians. We are just Frisians, period. And we happen to live in the
Netherlands or in Germany.'' These words were spoken last Saturday by Ingwer
Nommensen, President of the  Ynterfryske Rie (Interfrisian Council), during
a gathering to mark the 50th anniversary of the Frisian Manifesto in Aurich,
Germany.

Several hundred Frisians gathered at the Upstalsbeam historic site in Aurich
to mark the anniversary. In the early Middle Ages leaders from the 'seven
Frisian sealands' met at the Upstalsbeam, a tradition upheld by present-day
Frisians from North Friesland (Schleswig-Holstein), East Friesland
(Niedersachsen) and Fryslân in the Netherlands.

The Frisian Manifesto was issued in 1955 during the first postwar gathering
of Frisians from Germany and Netherlands, which also took place in Aurich.
The manifesto asked for two things: full recognition for the Frisian
language and culture, and a unified Europe. "The Frisians were well ahead of
their time,'' president Helmut Collmann of the Ostfriesischen Landschaft
said in a speech marking the occasion. "The manifesto was a step towards
[postwar] reconciliation. It was the Frisian Council (Friesenrat) that
helped us to start working together across the border and taught us the
value of safeguarding our own language and culture.''

Collaboration between Fryslân in the Netherlands and the two Frieslands in
Germany has never been easy due to the very different situation that
prevails in the three regions. In North Friesland in Schleswig-Holstein only
10.000 people out of a population of 150.000 speak North Frisian. Danish,
German, Low German and South Jutlandish are also spoken in the area.

When it comes to developments such as multilingual education, teaching
material, Frisian media, Frisian music and bilingual signs, North Frisians
have drawn inspiration from Fryslân in the Netherlands, where the language
is stronger (360.000 speakers out of a population of 600.000).

Frisian actually died out in the 19th century in East Friesland
(Niedersachsen). The population now speaks a regional variety of Low German,
which they call East Frisian (Ostfreesk). A few kilometres south of East
Friesland is the community of Saterland, where approximately 1.000 people in
three villages have managed to preserve East Frisian. They call their
language Seelter Frysk.

"With all these differences one can only admire and respect the Interfrisian
Council that they have managed to carry on for fifty years,'' said political
scientist Piet Hemminga of the Fryske Akademy in Ljouwert (Fryslân).
"Especially because the authorities in both Germany and the Netherlands have
shown little interest in supporting Frisian collaboration across the
border.''

Today the main activity of the Ynterfryske Rie (Interfrisian Council) is the
organisation of annual exchanges for young people, farmers, politicians and
teachers. They organise a conference every three years, and a reunion on the
Frisian island of Helgoland, also held once every three years.

During the weekend Frisians from north, east and west discussed a new
manifesto, which was prepared by the North Frisians. The new manifesto calls
upon authorities in both countries to support the Frisian language and
common Frisian identity according to European standards. Collaboration
between all Frisians should be strengthened, says the new manifesto. "It is
about time that Ynterfryske Rie becomes a professional organisation'', said
president Ingwer Nommensen. "At present all our work is being done by
volunteers. With only volunteers we can never fulfil our ambitions.''
Nommensen is hopeful that thanks to recent developments such as the Frisian
language law in Schleswig-Holstein and the European Charter for Regional and
Minority Languages it will be possible to convince the authorities in both
Germany and the Netherlands that the cross-border collaboration between
Frisians deserves more support than it received in the past.

Sticking up for Frisian identity

Near the Upstalsbeam the Greater Frisian Action Group 'Groep fan Auwerk'
handed out official-looking FRL stickers for the visitors to place on their
cars. Dutch authorities had already warned that it is forbidden to hide the
official NL sign on vehicle number plates. "Right now we leave it up to the
people how they want to use the FRL sign. They may get a fine if they put it
over the NL sign, but they can put it elsewhere as well. We simply demand
the right to identify ourselves as Frisians,'' said spokesman Siwert
Reinarda of the Groep fan Auwerk. The group has been giving stickers to
politicians of all parties and asking them for new number plates which offer
space for two signs, NL or D to the left and FRL to the right. President
Ingwer Nommensen of Ynterfryske Rie commented, "It's about time we have the
right to express ourselves freely as Frisian, even on our cars.'' Earlier
this year the same group asked all Frisian senators in the Netherlands to
allow Frisians to declare their nationality as 'Frisian' in the Dutch
passport. The Frisian parliament is expected to discuss the issue later this
year. (Eurolang © 2005)