LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.19 (12) [A/E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 20 05:02:47 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2005 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.19 (02) [E]

Haai Ron:

Onderwerp: Etimologie

'Grass Widow'.

> What are the Scots, Frisian and Afrikaans words, and those in other
> varieties?

In Afrikaans sê ons 'Grasweduwee' of 'Graswewenaar' (Onbestorwe weduwee of
wewenaar).

Lekker string, treurige onderwerp!

Groete,
Mark

----------

From: Rikus Kiers <kiersbv at tiscali.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.19 (06) [A/D/E]

Heather would not be surprised that hedge sermons existed to.
In the reformation proces, and war 1588-1648 in the Netherlands protestants
had their , illegal, "haghepreken". It is a well-known phenomenon in which
the anti catholic preachers held sermons somewhere in the woods or any not
to easy to reach place. Peculiar is that in Drenthe(Netherlands) close to
the village of Schoonoord is an open place in the woods, which used to be a
place where the few left catholics in Drenthe had their forbidden sermons,
after the reformation of Denthe. I forgot the name of that place. May be
someone knows its name, may be it was called the paapse kerk. ( paap means
Paus or catholic)

Greetings
Rikus Kiers