LL-L "Travels" 2005.09.20 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 20 15:20:49 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L Travel

Hi all,

Ron, I've had the opportunity to spend a weekend in Piedras Negras and
Nuevo Laredo just across Laredo TX a while back but have not been down
to Monterey yet. Plans are afoot for a tour of historial Maya sites next
year
or later, depending on the painful Rand/Dollar exchange rate. South Africans
do not need visas to visit Mexico, only a valid passport.

May I entice other Lowlanders to check out the wonderful range of programs
offered by the Elderhostel Organization? They're at www.elderhostel.com.

Adios,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Hi all,

Thanks, Mark, for suggesting looking up Panna Maria.

I just read on http://texas-on-line.com/graphic/pannamar.htm, the following:
"Today, the older generation still speaks an antiquated Silesian
dialect (difficult for modern Polish speaker to understand), but Polish
is no longer taught in local schools, and the language is being lost."

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Travels

Thanks, Elsie.

It looks as though you're becoming quite the Texas gal.

I went to the URL, but it took me to a crummy site.  I think what you had in
mind is this one: http://www.elderhostel.org/welcome/home.asp

Perhaps on one of your later trips you can visit the town Serbin (Lee
County, soutwest of Giddings), originally a Sorbian settlement.  The Sorbian
language became extinct after a couple of generations or so, and German to
over (the typical scenario when Sorbs hang around German emigrants, probably
linked to them mostly by way of Sorbs that have switched to German).
However, there are supposed to be still remnants of Sorbian culture.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/SS/hns33.html
http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralTexasTownsSouth/SerbinTexas/SerbinTexasWends.htm
http://www.klru.org/paintedchurches/serbin.html
http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/publications/texansoneandall/wendish.htm