LL-L "Language acquisition" 2005.09.20 (02) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 20 15:55:50 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Language acquisition" [E/S]

> From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language acquisition" 2005.09.14 (01) [E]
>
> You have missed my point.
>
> The steps were retrieval steps for a neural network - which is subliminal
> i.e. I am not suggesting that people use the steps by rote.

This isn't how neural nets work. Consider learning to shoot hoops at
basketball. You throw the ball at varying distances and you vary your speed
and direction of throw. With enough practice you get the parabolic arc right
and the ball mostly goes through the hoop. Even at the same distance you
learn to throw in different arcs and still put the ball in the hoop. This
doesn't mean that you're using Newton's equations of motion or even the
quadratic equations for parabolae, even subliminally.

Similarly through long practice a child, adult or neural net in a computer
learns lots of phrases, some of which get better results than others.
He/she/it learns to vary the phrases according to certain patterns that get
acceptable results. Neural nets are information feedback systems for
targeting results, they don't work through our physical theories or
grammatical theories, not even subliminally.

Researchers have demonstrated that once a child reaches about the age of
seven, neural pathways for language learning no longer develop. At school I
spoke Scots and occasional English (though my written English was good), I
didn't start French until I was twelve. It could be said that by the time I
left school I knew the grammar of French without being able to speak it -
reading only involved "getting the gist". But in my adult life I had no
trouble learning Welsh, Czech and eventually French, once I decided I could
face that nightmare again. Only it wasn't a nightmare out of school!

I've noticed bilinguals seem to have a rather snobbish attitude towards
monolinguals but it's really the stage you reach in neural development in
any language before it's too late that determines your potential language
competency. Bilinguals can just as easily be linguistically incapable - ie
they never reached a sufficiently advanced stage in either language before
it was too late. On the other hand, I don't see any evidence of English
monolinguals being unable to learn other languages. Certainly they may have
to learn grammatical terms and concepts before they can start making
progress, but this is only if they're unfortunate enough to land themselves
with a teacher who insists on teaching this way.

> From: Isaac M. Davis <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language acquisition" 2005.09.14 (01) [E]
>
> Weel-pat. Whan A leart French weel, that's hoo A did it; A haed no
> patience
> for gender, an whan it wisnae obvious, A thocht o an ensaumple: e.g. _du_
> lait, sae 'lait' is masculine. Tae begin wi, A didna hae the 'gender
> confusion' sae bad as maist Anglophones; A notice clues tae gender, an
> there's a heap, maistly wi anes that cam fae Laitin nouns o the first an
> seicont declension. Oniewey, whan A didna knaw the gender, A didna wirrie
> aboot it, an A keepit ma ears open for ensaumples in the speech o native
> speakers. Whan a haurd an ensaumple, A wid mynd it like ye say, "le chat",
> "du vin", etc. An neist time, A haed an ensaumple for that ane.

Ay, that's hou it wis wi me lairnin French _efter_ the schuil. Syne whan it
cam tae the Welsh I coud ignore gender even mair wi never hivin haed tae
lairn it at the schuil! An need I say'd, wi a langage like Czech, the'r a
muckle rowth o things that ye hae tae ignore gin ye'r wantin tae lairn the
langage richt!

Yiblins the thing aboot grammar is it gies a lairner some shortcuts for tae
speed up langage lairnin, but I dout lairnin this wey disna gie ye naitral
uise o the langage - ye end up spaekin "like a foreigner". It wis interestin
in Welsh the wey some lairners telt theirsels they wadna bather lairnin the
mutations. Tae me this wis a orra kin o thing tae say - shuirly the
mutations'll come naitral, juist like the rest o the langage?

> Well-put. When I learnt French well, that's how I did it; I had no
> patience
> for gender, and when it wasn't obvious, I thought of an example: e.g. _du_
> lait, so 'lait' is masculine. To begin with, I didn't have the 'gender
> confusion' as badly as most Anglophones; I notice clues to gender, and
> there's lots, mostly with ones that come from Latin nouns of the first and
> second declension. Anyway, when I didn't know the gender, I didn't worry
> about it, and I kept my ears open for examples in the speech of native
> speakers. When I heard an example, I would remember it like you say, "le
> chat", "du vin", etc. And next time, I had an example for that one.

Yes, that was my experience of learning French, _after_ school. Then in
Welsh I was able to ignore gender even more, since I'd never had to learn it
at school! And of course, in a language like Czech, there's a lot more
that's important to ignore if you want to be able to speak the language
properly!

Grammar perhaps gives a learner shortcuts which speed up the
language-learning process, but I don't think learning this way will develop
natural use of the language - you end up speaking it "like a foreigner". In
Welsh some learners would decide not to learn the mutations, which I found
peculiar - surely the mutations will come to you naturally, just like the
rest of the language does?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language acquisition

Sandy (above):

> Grammar perhaps gives a learner shortcuts which speed up the
> language-learning
> process, but I don't think learning this way will develop natural use of
> the language
> - you end up speaking it "like a foreigner". In Welsh some learners would
> decide
> not to learn the mutations, which I found peculiar - surely the mutations
> will come
> to you naturally, just like the rest of the language does?

While I am sure it's unrealistic to give adult learners the hope that
they'll learn to speak a foreign language "like a native," I would never
allow them to get away with shortcuts of that sort.  Those things would
eventually bite them in the behind big-time.  *All* aspects of a given
language must begin to be acquired right from the start, and this way
they'll all eventually become "natural" processes, as you said, Sandy.

I know foreign learners that totally ignore Chinese tones, some of them even
speaking fluently without them.  The usual excuse is that tones are a pain
in the neck to learn and that you can always explain what you mean in case
of ambiguity and misunderstanding.  (This would apply to all tonal
languages.)  Yes, learning to orally and aurally distinguish phonemic tones
is pretty hard for most speakers of non-tonal languages, but really only for
the first few weeks.  Our teachers insisted that we knew the tone(s) of each
and every newly introduced word, and we were tested on this once a week,
actually everyday as a part of new vocabulary reviews.  After about one year
it had become pretty easy, and living among Chinese speakers most of us
didn't even need to think about it anymore.  Most of the time we no longer
needed to be told what tones came with the new words we learned as advanced
students in that environment.  We picked them up as a part of packages, just
by listening.  There are now many Mandarin words whose tones I cannot tell
off-hand, theoretically.  I must say the word to myself to figure it out
(saying all possible tones until I hit the one that sounds right), and this
is what native speakers do.  So, consistency and persistence in learning
will eventually pay off big time.

This is why I would never recommend textbooks that do not cover such
aspects, such as some for Scandinavian and South Slavonic languages, or
Russian or Ukrainian textbooks that do not indicate primary stress (which is
phonemic, i.e., unpredictable, in these languages).  Similarly, the _Teach
Yourself Danish_ textbook does not indicate the _stød_ (a glottal
interuption as a remnant of an old tone), and the introduction says you
should listen to the cassettes or have Danish friends teach you.  Sorry --
that won't cut the mustard.  Of course all these predicaments go back to
inadequacies in the official orthographies -- but that's a different matter.