LL-L "Language politics" 2005.09.22 (08) [E/Irish]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 22 20:31:48 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2005.09.22 (03) [E]

Ron wrote:
"I guess so, and one ought to always look at progress, including baby
steps..."

I suppose any bilingual road signs are progress. But I am also frustrated by
the tokenism which so often finds its way into public signage in "minority"
language areas. I hate to sound obsessed by Irish, but I am forever driven
to distraction by the insistence of the authorities in the south to put the
Irish in a smaller (and italicised) font than the English, subliminally
implying that the Irish is decorative and fairly explicitly stating that the
Irish is less important / of less use than the English. As someone once
said, are Irish speakers meant to have better eyesight than their Anglophone
compatriots?

If authorities are going to put "minority" languages on road signs, I wish I
wish I wish they would do so in the same size font and style as the "power"
language. After all, it doesn't crash cars in Wales or Ontario, so why would
it in Dublin or Kildare? (I see the kreis welcome signs in the Saterland use
the 'smaller font' style for Seeltersk, too. Standard German of course gets
top billing in 'big font', and there's no sign of Low Saxon.)

Sometimes I think bureaucrats can't help but put the boot into the
"minority" language, as if they are pre-programmed to muck up and frustrate.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.