LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.09.26 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 26 19:34:30 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.SEP.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.09.25 (03) [A/E]

Mark Dreaer wrote:
> My all-time favourite is that historic dorp bearing the name
> 'Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein', (the 'Spring where two
> buffalos were killed stone dead with one shot'). Let the Welshman read, &
> weep!
Are you sure it wasn't "Hottentottententententoonstelling"?

Henry:
> How does a spelling reform reduce the number of words in a language
> (other than removing the odd letter so two words are written the same)?
> I certainly don't understand your examples.
You probably took it a little too seriously...

...anyway, I'll leave the counting of words to the linguists, i. e. people
who don't seem to get bored by this kind of thing... for the rest of us,
maybe it's best to agree that size doesn't matter. :-)

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.09.24 (02) [E]

Speaking of sizable vocabularies in various languages: here's an amusing BBC
link that fits the topic: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4248494.stm

Oh yeah, and I remember reading somewhere that today is Foriegn Language Day
in the EU, or something like that... if only I could remember where I saw
that...

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

>> In English would '(a) play' be counted as well as '(to) play' or would
> they
> just be counted as one -

Clearly two words that are semantically linked: one noun and one verb.

Yes but in a count of vocabulary would all the various functional varieties
of an invariable such as 'play' be counted separately ?
And all the various meanings:   To play a fishing line:  there's no play in
this material   i.e. doesn;t stretch at all/ doesn't give  a bit.

etc etc

Just think of how many different entries there are under 'bow'.

If it only counted as a single word, that wouldn't be fair

Heather

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Good Monday, Heather!

Surely any survey worth mentioning would count all the lexemes, in other
words would not count homonyms as single words.