LL-L "Etymology" 2005.09.29 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 29 22:53:19 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.SEP.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Etymology

OK, so I get to do a monologue for a while, because the server, refusing to
receive mail, is still sending mail to our mail server.

Here's another tasty morsel for you etymologists.

The English word "tram," as in "tramway" (American English "streetcar"), is
either related to or derived from Low Saxon, probably from Middle Saxon of
the Hanseatic period.

The _Oxford English Dictionary_ is one of those that point this out, but it
is rather tentative about it.

Apparently, the English word "tram" comes from Scots, and in Scots it can be
attested as far back as the 15th century (at which time the Hanseatic
Trading League was still going strong).  The Low Saxon word supposedly
connected with this is _traam_, as found in ann 18th-century dictionary.
The _OED_ further gives the following cognates:
"EFris. _trame_, _trâm_ beam of wood, rung or step of a ladder, bar of a
chair, tram of a wheelbarrow; in MLG. _trame_, _treme_, MDu. _trame_ balk or
beam, rung of a ladder, etc.; WFlem. _traam_, _trame_."  The common meaning
is  ‘balk, beam, e.g. of a wheelbarrow or dung-sledge, tram, handle of a
barrow or sledge, also a rung or step of a ladder, bar of a chair’.

An older meaning of Scots and English "tram" is  'shaft of a barrow or
cart'. A derived meaning is 'the two upright posts of a gallows; also
humorously, in sing., a man's leg; particularly, a wooden leg', furthermore
'a framework, barrow, or the like, on which loads are dragged, carried, or
supported',  'the one or two lads in charge of a tram; also, the work
performed by these', 'a quadrilateral frame or bench (like the body of a
hand-barrow) supported on four legs or blocks, on which casks or the like
stand, or at which an artisan works', 'a continuous line or track of timber
beams or ‘rails’, or later of stone blocks or slabs, a parallel pair of
which lines formed a tramway, originally in or from a mine. Hence, each of
the wheel-tracks or ‘rails’ of a tram-road of an early type, or of a later
tramway or railway', ' a road laid with such wooden planks or rails, or with
parallel rows of stone slabs or of iron plates or ‘rails’, for the easier
passage of loaded wagons, etc., in a coal-mine or above ground; a tram-road
of an early type', and finally ' a passenger car on a street tramway; a
tram-car'.

The word _traam_ (<Traam> < _trame_) is still in use in Low Saxon,
particularly in the sense of 'rung (of a ladder)', synonymous with _tral_
(<Trall>).

In Modern Scots, too, _tram_ is still used, also with its earlier meanings
'shaft of a barrow or cart' and 'upright gallow post', and in older Scots
(_tram_ ~ _trahame_ ~ _tramme_) also ' sledge or cart for transporting coal,
'sledge, consisting of two shafts and crosspieces of some sort, for
transporting stone', 'long runners'.  There is also the word _barrow tram_.

Older Scots also uses _tram_ in the following sense, and I am wondering if
these are related or separate words:

(1) stratagem, trick, plot
(2) (traim(me), traum(e), trawynn, tram, trame) contrivance, machination;
tackle of a ship
(3) mechanical contrivance, machine, engine of war

Can anyone shed more light on this?  Might we be able to determine if we are
talking merely of cognates or of a borrowing?