LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.09.30 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 30 21:28:17 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.SEP.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.09.30 (05) [E/LS]

Are you sure? We Dutch Low Saxon never pronounce the spelled -ven in those
cases as [v=m], but as [b=m].
It is hard to say [lE:v=m] instead of [lE:b=m], and IF the [v] were
pronounced, it would be [lE:v=n], with [=n], not [=m].
But I think I understand what you mean: in derived forms like <ik leev>
it is [v] not *[b]; you probably mean that the Meckelnborger say <ik leeb>?

Ron wrote:

>Like Lower Elbe dialects, Mecklenburg dialects have [b] where other
dialects
>have [v] between vowels; e.g.,
>
>to live: NS leven ["le:v=m], LE leben ["le:b=m], M läben ["lE:b=m] ~
>["læ:b=m]
>to give: NS geven ["ge:v=m], LE geben ["ge:b=m], M gäben ["gE:b=m] ~
>["gæ:b=m]
>over, across: NS över, œver ["ø:vV], LS öber ["ø:bV], M oeber, œber
["œ:bV]
>above: NS baven ["bQ:v=m], LE boben ["bo:b=m], M baben ["bQ:b=m]

Ingmar

Are you sure it is from Slavonicv? I think this -ing diminutive exist in
Danish, too, like in <kærling> etc.
Moreover, it may be related with Drenthe Low Saxon diminutive -egien etc.

Drenthe LS dim. of "man" is "mannegien". Same in Stellingwarfs (S.E.
Friesland) and Sallands (N+W Overijssel) and Veluws (N.W. Gelderland),
and Veenkoloniaals (E. Groningen) - all Dutch Low Saxon varieties.

>>From "mannegien" to "mannigen" is a small step. And "mannigen" in LS would
be pronounced easily as ["manIg=N], "mannigng". From that to "manningen"
{"manIN:], "manningng" is even still easier to imagen.

But the same is possible from the general Low Saxon diminutive -eken:

Manneken pronounced "mannekng" leads to "mannegng" => "manneng"
=> "manning".

The older Dutch dim., even before now archaic/dialectical -eken, was -ekijn
[@kin]. The "ie" in Dutch Low Saxon -egien or -echien is explained by that.
In Modern Dutch it is -je or -tje, but in colloquial Dutch, like in the
Holland/Randstad speech, -ie in stead of -je is used frequently.

Meckelnborgsch "daching" in stead of "dagging" reminds me of coll. Dutch
"dachie" for "dagje", not *"daggie", "huissie" for "huisje", not *"huizie",
although plural "dagen" and "huizen" do have voiced consonants.
Same for Dutch LS.

These are just a few theories and observations from me.
Btw, I noticed that the Meckelnborgsch examples you gave didn't have
diminutive umlaut (i-mutation) in most cases, is that right?
The same is true for Drenthe, Stellingwarven and Groningen Low Saxon,
together with the Northern part of Overijssel. And for Western Dutch,
of course (i.e. in Holland, Zeeland, Flanders).

Ingmar