LL-L "Language politics" 2005.09.30 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 30 21:28:33 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.SEP.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2005.09.30 (06) [E]

Mike wrote: I have been doing genealogy for some time and one of the areas I
concentrate on is Polish/Ukrainian lines (specifically "Galicians").

I may be mistaken, I probably don't know enough about it.  I have heard of
two Galicias.  One in northwestern Spain, and one in present-day Turkey.
This would make the third.  How many are there, really?

Mark

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language policies

Hi, Mark!

There is indeed another Galicia in Central Europe, nowadays split between
Poland and Ukraine.  In the Middle Ages it used to be known as _Galicia et
Lodomeria_ (Polish _Galicja i Lodomeria_, Ukrainian Галичина і Володимирія
_Halyčyna i Volodymyria_, German _Galizien und Lodomeria_, Slovak _Halič a
Vladimírsko_ or _Galícia a Lodoméria_, Hungarian _Gácsország és Lodoméria_).
Under Austrian power it was an administrative region in its own right, its
capital being the city that is know in Polish as _Lwów_, In Ukrainian as
Львів _L'viv_, in Russian as Львов _L'vov_ and in German as _Lemberg_ (now
in Western Ukraine).  Another large city situated in Galicia, far west, on
the Polish side of the border, is Crakow (Polish _Kraków_); at least it used
to belong to it.

Exactly why the area is known as "Galicia" (Ukrainian Галич _Halyč_, Polish
_Halicz, Russian Галич _Galič_, Latin _Galic_) and if there is any
connection with Celtic is uncertain.  Some scholar do subscribe to the
theory that there is a Celtic link, including one with the Galaţi of
Romania.  Others believe that the name is derived from Slavonic галица
_galica_ (> _halica_) 'bare hill', or from галка _galka_ (> _halka_)
'jackdaw'.

Please take a look at a map that shows historic Celtic presence in Europe
and Anatolia, and you'll see that the area in question did belong to it, on
the eastern eadge of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Celts_800-400BC.PNG

N.B.: Central European Galicia used to have a fairly high percentage of
Jewish
residents before World War II.  It has been claimed that the area has its
own Yiddish dialect group.  However, these days many people use the name
"Galician Yiddish," as an alternative to "Central Eastern Yiddish," to lump
together all or most Yiddish dialects of Poland and Ukraine.

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2005.09.30 (02) [E]

Rusyn is a relatively late term, prior were po-nashemu meaning our way and
Rusnjak.

I preface this by saying that I am neither a linguist nor a Slav, so take my
comments with an ocean of salt. Also, I do not mean to offend anybody when I
say this. Is it just me, or do the Slavic languages tend to nickpick when it
comes to languages and dialects? I keep hearing that, for example, Bulgarian
and Macedonian are very close to one another, but then I hear Bulgarians say
that Macedonian is nothing more than a dialect of Bulgarian. How close are
these languages/dialects to one another? As far as the whole discussion
about the Rusyns, how intelligible is their language to Ukranians, Poles and
Slovaks? Does it show any influences from the Lowlands languages?
Ben