LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.04.01 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 2 00:21:24 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 01 April 2006 * Volume 06

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.03.31 (06) [D/E]

Interesting, but what I meant to say: the fact that Sranan Tongo does not
seem to have a "native" word for future but uses a word borrowed from
Dutch says nothing. One question: what is the native English word in this
case?  Eeeehmmm, "future" of course. No, future is a French word, from
Latin. So that's the prove that the English don't know the concept
of 'future', isn't it? It's just a prove of the fascist look some of the
Hindustanis from Suriname have upon their Creole compatriots...
and a quite dangerous one, too, in an underdevelopped country where Asians
and Afro Carribeans form equally large and competing ethnic groups.

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Ingmar,

I wasn't trying to comment on your allegation of chauvinist attitudes, just
added the information I had.

I don't know anything about the prevailing interethnic attitudes in Surinam.
So I'm in no position to confirm or deny your allegations.

A language lacking a word for "future" (or "present" or "past") is in itself
not necessarily an indictment of "primitiveness."  Traditionally, time
perceptions vary greatly between cultures.  Many of them do not think of
time as linear but in other, no less complex or "sophisticated" ways.  These
days, you will find this preserved in indigenous Australia and Papua-New
Guinea, for instance, also in parts of Oceania, Africa and the Americas.

In some ancient European languages there seem to be no real words for
"future" either, though there are words that pertain to the future, such as
Old English _forþ_ 'from now on', 'in the future', _toweard_, _uferra_
'future ...', Gothic _anawaírþs_, _framwaírþs_ 'future ...', _fauraqiþan_
'to foretell the future', and Old Frisian _tôkumande_ 'future ...'.  In
fact, among the Old Germanic languages I can verify the existence of nouns
for "future" only in Old Norse (_skuld_) and Old German (_kumst_,
_zukumst_).  Does this mean that the latter were more developed or superior?
Hardly.

None of the Indo-Aryan words for "future" seem to mean exclusively "future,"
by the way.  They always mean other things as well, such as "still to come."

Do I want to imply that there is no reason to allege chauvinism on the part
of Indo-Surinamese?  Nope?  Do I think that saying a language lacks a word,
native or otherwise, for "future" automatically implies chauvinism?
Likewise nope -- aleast not without knowing more about the situation.

But I'm most certainly very interested in finding out more.

I certainly find it interesting that Sranantongo _Ptata_ and _Ptatakondre_
mean 'Netherlands' (cf. _ptata_ 'potato', _kondre_ 'country').

P.S.: I wonder if Sarnami टेम (ţem) is derived from English _time_.  Use of
retroflex "t" would certainly be consistent with that.